Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms

Firearms A place to Discuss different Firearms

Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Don't misunderstand my original post. I too, think Rugers are great and I don't understand where all these complainers come from. All brands have some, but it seems Rugers and Taurus get the worst press. Maybe it's because they don't cost $1,000 a pop. Gun forums in general seem to create a lot of negative comments on guns. I remember when Smith & Wesson first put locks on some of their revolvers. Just about everybody in the country apparently had them lock "all by themselves". Horse puckey! I've shot several Smiths with locks, and had no such problems. People must dream this stuff up.
I think thats one reason. Some people associate price with quality without exception. Its not always true. Some people also like the status image of having the more expensive stuff. I'm by gun Mfgs. like I am by Politicians. You can look at their history and tell a lot about them.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
greener
Extraordinary Member

Well, you just expect the firearm to work perfectly 100% of the time with any ammo and shoot .25" groups at 100 yards. If they don't, then you have a right to complain.

My Rugers have been pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

There seems to be a trend here. Most guns that are manufactured in Prescott, AZ (semi-autos) seem to get a lot of complaints. Products built in Southport (Revolvers) are apparently as good or better than ever.

rman, let me explain the reason for this. I have lived here in Prescott for over 25 years. I think it is in the water and the altitude. Old people appear all over the place and maybe that is all Ruger can find out here. I looked in the mirror the other day and some old looking fart was looking back at me. I know this could be the water cause I'm sure I didn't look like that a week ago!! OR... it could be the altitude. We have some light headed people up here but it is 5000 ft high so you have to expect some strange things to happen. Why I remember just the other day......no I don't....what were we talking about? Geeeze I need another glass of water.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #14
CHRIS

I loved the Ruguer guns !
Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
rman
Extraordinary Member

I still love Rugers. I guess all mfgrs have problems now and then. I'll still keep buying them when they come out with something I need(?)
Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortdraw View Post
rman, let me explain the reason for this. I have lived here in Prescott for over 25 years. I think it is in the water and the altitude. Old people appear all over the place and maybe that is all Ruger can find out here. I looked in the mirror the other day and some old looking fart was looking back at me. I know this could be the water cause I'm sure I didn't look like that a week ago!! OR... it could be the altitude. We have some light headed people up here but it is 5000 ft high so you have to expect some strange things to happen. Why I remember just the other day......no I don't....what were we talking about? Geeeze I need another glass of water.
It's scary, but I understand that perfectly Chortdraw!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

Understand what?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
rman
Extraordinary Member

Huh? Were we talking about something?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Some good valid comments above. I spend a lot of time on the Rugerforum.com answering gunsmithing questions as "Pinecone". It seems you have two kinds of so called "gunsmiths" on the forums. People who have actually worked on guns, and people who have "read" about "others" working on guns! (The Experts)! I don't claim to be an expert on firearms but simply give my "experience" from working guns for 45+ years. People can take my advice or leave it. Makes no difference to me. I take a lot of flak from the "know-it-alls" on that forum. Just a fact of life. Some people will try to sell their mother an Edsel and argue with her until she accepts it! Not very hard to separate the "wheat from the chaff"! I don't believe any factory would consciously put out defective items that could be a vital "safety" issue to the owner/user. They would be out of business pretty quick as we have seen some smaller gun makers go! However guns do show up with manufacturing/engineering glitches that simply were overlooked during design or manufacture. Ruger is very good at correcting issues with it's customers. Hope that stays the same now that Big Bill is gone and the family pretty much out of it now. Also do know that decisions get made in Board Rooms that simply look at their bottom line only, "profit"! Ces't La Vie........................Dick
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Some good valid comments above. I spend a lot of time on the Rugerforum.com answering gunsmithing questions as "Pinecone". It seems you have two kinds of so called "gunsmiths" on the forums. People who have actually worked on guns, and people who have "read" about "others" working on guns! (The Experts)! I don't claim to be an expert on firearms but simply give my "experience" from working guns for 45+ years. People can take my advice or leave it. Makes no difference to me. I take a lot of flak from the "know-it-alls" on that forum. Just a fact of life. Some people will try to sell their mother an Edsel and argue with her until she accepts it! Not very hard to separate the "wheat from the chaff"! I don't believe any factory would consciously put out defective items that could be a vital "safety" issue to the owner/user. They would be out of business pretty quick as we have seen some smaller gun makers go! However guns do show up with manufacturing/engineering glitches that simply were overlooked during design or manufacture. Ruger is very good at correcting issues with it's customers. Hope that stays the same now that Big Bill is gone and the family pretty much out of it now. Also do know that decisions get made in Board Rooms that simply look at their bottom line only, "profit"! Ces't La Vie........................Dick
Good comments Bowhunter! I've been pretty blessed. I've bought, sold and traded a heck of a lot of guns over the last 40 some years. I've had very few problems with any of them. Right now I have a new E Series Smith & Wesson back in for warranty repairs. It's the second trip back home for it. I believe I could fix what ails it, but it was a pretty expensive piece and I'd like for them to get it right. I'm not mad at S&W - I bought one of the first of a brand new series of guns. Sometimes that is just asking for trouble.

If I recall correctly, I've had problems with one new Ruger out of dozens, 2 with S&W out of dozens and 1 Taurus out of a bunch. I believe that the Taurus problem was self-inflicted - faulty reassembly on my part. Oh yeah, and a Jennings .22 pocket auto. That one was hopeless, but what do expect for less than 50 bucks?