Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Reloading

Reloading Place to discuss Reloading.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Stuck case

I haven't had a stuck case in over 40 years of reloading. However, when I first starting reloading .223s, I stuck one pretty early on. This set was made by Hornady and I bought them new. I looked locally for a stuck case removal tool, but couldn't find one. I could order one, but they cost almost as much as another set of dies. I bought another set of used Hornady .223 dies and strangely, it also had a set of RCBS dies in the same box. I only paid $30 - a pretty good deal for 2 complete sets of dies. I kind of forgot about the stuck case. Yesterday I went to the Bullet Hole in Overland Park and noticed they had an RCBS stuck case remover for $20. I figured it was time to buy one so I didn't end up with any more duplicate/triplicate die sets. I bought it and tried it out this morning. It really worked slick. I now have 2 usable sets of Hornady .223 dies and a set of RCBS. I guess I can set one seating die for Sierra 69 gr Match King JHPs, one for Sierra 55 gr Game King SBTs and one for Hornady 55 gr VMax bullets. Just what everyone needs - 3 sets of .223 dies.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Those stuck case removers are pretty handy. I've used mine on more occasions than I care to admit. (y'all know how those senior moments are)
The last time was on 30 Carbine, New set of carbide dies, and duh, I forgot that you still had to lube them first.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

Glad I'm not the only one Teddybear! (Anybody need a set of .223 dies?) (or a set of .22 Hornet dies?) (or a set of .38 Super dies?)
Old 04-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
dowop

I use to reload quite a bit for 308 & 22-250 in the late 60`s & early 70`s & never had a stuck case.
Started to reload for 223 & stuck a case pretty quick in a new set of RCBS dies.
I bought a set of Lee Dies & have not had a problem yet. Course I am buying PMC off of S.G.Ammo & mostly shooting that.I did manage to load 100 through the Lee dies without a problem.
Friend of mine did mange to get the shell out of the die.

Last edited by dowop; 04-21-2016 at 04:05 AM.
dowop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

It's odd, but I've heard a lot of people say the same thing about the .223. I used to load lots of .22 Hornet, .22-250 and .243 Win without incident. I'm not sure whether it has anything to with the .223 case though. I'm thinking it might be carelessness and old age.