Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #41
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Packers face Chiefs in first Super Bowl

On this day in 1967, at the Los Angeles Coliseum, the Green Bay Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs in the first-ever world championship game of American football.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #42
Vetter
Banned

Smile

1/15/1974 - "Happy Days" premiered on ABC-TV.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #43
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Prohibition Becomes Law

The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, prohibiting the "manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes," is ratified on this day in 1919 and becomes the law of the land.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #44
Vetter
Banned

Talking

1/16/1961 - Mickey Mantle signed a contract that made him the highest paid baseball player in the American League at $75,000 for the 1961 season.

I think the "Bat Boy's" make that much now!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #45
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default January 16, 1991

At midnight in Iraq, the United Nations deadline for the Iraqi withdrawal from Kuwait expires, and the Pentagon prepares to commence offensive operations to forcibly eject Iraq from its five-month occupation of its oil-rich neighbor. At 4:30 p.m. EST, the first fighter aircraft were launched from Saudi Arabia and off U.S. and British aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf on bombing missions over Iraq. All evening, aircraft from the U.S.-led military coalition pounded targets in and around Baghdad as the world watched the events transpire in television footage transmitted live via satellite from Baghdad and elsewhere. At 7:00 p.m., Operation Desert Storm, the code-name for the massive U.S.-led offensive against Iraq, was formally announced at the White House.

I remember listening to this on the radio in my squad car as it was unfolding.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #46
Vetter
Banned

Angry

1/17/1995 - More than 6,000 people were killed when an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 devastated the city of Kobe, Japan.

2400 died when they bombed Pearl Harbor.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #47
rman
Extraordinary Member

On this day in 1950, 11 men steal more than $2 million from the Brink"s Armored Car depot in Boston, Massachusetts. It was the perfect crime, almost, as the culprits weren't caught until January 1956, just days before the statute of limitations for the theft expired.

Eight of the Brink's robbers were caught, convicted and given life sentences. Two more died before they could go to trial. Only a small part of the money was ever recovered; the rest is fabled to be hidden in the hills north of Grand Rapids, Minnesota. In 1978, the famous robbery was immortalized on film in The Brink's Job, starring Peter Falk.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #48
J_B
Extraordinary Member

January 17, 1864 Mary Edgerton, wife of Sidney Edgerton, wrote in a letter to her family in Ohio: "We had extremely cold weather here week before last. The mercury in the thermometers after going forty degrees below zero froze in the bulb. I never knew such cold weather or anything like it. I was so afraid that the children would freeze their noses and ears in the night that I got up a number of times in the night to see that their heads were covered. Their beds would be covered with frost. I saw their frozen breath. It is much warmer now."
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 AM   #49
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Jan 18, 1863 Chiricahua Apache leader Mangas Coloradas is captured, tortured, and killed by U.S. Army sentries after meeting with Brigadier General Joseph Rodman West to call for peace.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #50
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs down

1/18/1967 - Albert DeSalvo, who claimed to be the "Boston Strangler," was convicted in Cambridge, MA, of armed robbery, assault and sex offenses. He was sentenced to life in prison. Desalvo was killed in 1973 by a fellow inmate.