Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms

Firearms A place to Discuss different Firearms

Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Bros. View Post
Whenever I go to the range, either my model 1890 or model 1906 Winchester 22 pump gun goes with me.
The ones that don't get much use are my Springfield trapdoor 45-70 carbine
(circa 1879), Colt 44-40 Frontier Six Shooter (circa 1903) and my Model 1849
31 caliber pocket Colt (circa 1853). I guess the only gun i own that is younger than me is my 30 caliber M1 Carbine.
Very nice collection. I would love to have one of the old Winchester Pump .22's. Thats what me and my two Brothers learned to shoot with. We shot a ton of ammo through it, and since Dad couldn't divide it with us, and we all wanted it, he gave it to a Cousin of ours. Don't know what happened to it, because he's deceased now.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
Dalton Bros.

Calvin, when I was 12, my brother who was 16 got a brand new Winchester 22 pump for Christmas that year. Well, that summer I had saved up my lawn cutting money, got on a streetcar and went to downtown St. Louis, North Grand Ave to be exact where Charlie Nassau had a gun shop. You couldn't have swung a cat in there without hitting some kind of gun. I finally found the little 1906 stuffed in a corner. Charlie took me out in the alley and put a couple of shorts into a bunch of cardboard in the trash to prove to me the gun worked.
I would love to have a nickle for every turtle I've barked with that gun sleeping on a log in the Jack's Fork and Currant Rivers. That was before I heard it was illeagal to be shooting from a boat toward the bank. Forgot who told mr that.
Dalton Bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
dankim04

Default Winchester 1300

I have an old Winchester 1300 pump that I got when I was a kid 25-30 yrs ago and did a little restore work to it and my my now uses it to dove, turkey and trap shoot with and it still shoots a great pattern after all these years
dankim04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
rman
Extraordinary Member

I was going to say the Browning T-Bolt .22 rifle. I had one once and it was a great rifle. I think I read someplace that they are making them again.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
caneman

The old Martini Cadet in the original .310 caliber was a nice little gun. Most of course got customized into hot .22's and a few to .357 Magnum but I'd be satisfied to just get one in the original .310 chambering.

Handguns I liked were the Ruger Speed and Security Sixes and a Colt Trooper MKIII I had years ago.

Always wanted and could never afford or at least justify a S&W 22/32 kit gun.

I've sold many over the years that I wish I could have kept but life and circumstances got in the way. I'd cry if I made a list.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #16
sc928porsche

1863 Spiller&Burr. 1888 & 1891 Mausers.
sc928porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #17
French G.

Half my collection. K-31s, M-1 Garand, 1897 pump, oddball drilling. Ithaca 37 almost on the list but they started making them again.
French G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #18
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by French G. View Post
Half my collection. K-31s, M-1 Garand, 1897 pump, oddball drilling. Ithaca 37 almost on the list but they started making them again.
Life is funny. Everybody likes to have the latest and greatest but just look backwards. Most all the good old stuff we had years ago is now being reproduced at many times the cost of the originals. If your clothes get out of style, just keep them 10 years or so and they will recycle where you will have the greatest at a great price. Shows people like to have the latest, but their basic likes don't really change. That's why some Old Farts like me don't like to get rid of stuff. Just keep it, and enjoy it, and it will be the greatest a few times during your lifetime, and you don't have to spend a fortune trying to stay up with the Jones. :
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #19
Pete D.

Default old guns

Just saw this thread.
Quote:
The old Martini Cadet in the original .310 caliber was a nice little gun.
Ain't that the truth. I put one together from parts. Handload the cartridge (uses a heeled bullet, like a .22 rimfire). Here's a target shot at 100 yards with the Cadet iron sights. The five in the 10 ring are the last five consecutive shots.:

The little .310 next to its big brother, the 577-450 - another great old gun.

And a great old pistol, a Bulldog pocket pistol- one of the guns that really won the West - a British Bulldog in .44 RIC.

Pete
Pete D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Default Obsolete Guns

I have a lot of obsolete guns. Hard to pick one but I would go with my 1884 Trapdoor Springfield. It is in great shape, probably the best I have seen. It was given to me by my sister. Belonged to her husband. It has been "demilitarized" by a couple of "welds" that prevent loading a smokeless powder .45-70 cartridge which is actually a "good" thing as the gun was designed for Black Powder cartridges! Also the cleaning rod is missing. Also have a Winchester 1890 in .22 Long that I'm pretty fond of. A buddy of mine has an Evans Repeating Rifle handed down through his wifes family. The Evans was invented by Warren Evans a dentist, from Thomaston, Maine in 1873. They were made from 1873 to 1879 in Mechanics Falls, Maine when production ceased. What was unique about them was the cartridge capacity. They came with either the Evans .44 Short (34 cartridge capacity) or the Evans .44 Long (26 cartridge capacity). That was a lot higher capacity than the Spencer Repeating Rifle! I got a chance to take my buddies Evans apart a while back to work on it and it was really an interesting engineering feat. As a gunsmith, I have worked on a lot of obsolete firearms and they always present a chalenge as well as being extremely interesting!.....................Dick
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote