Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Recommendations > Things you would Recommend for others.

Things you would Recommend for others. Things you have tried, and would recommend to others.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Walking Canes

Anyone else use a walking cane? I finally broke down and ordered me a 1" Solid Oak Walking Cane. I wanted it where it wouldn't break if I had to hit Sharon over the head with it. I can walk without one but I got to thinking that if us Old Farts, that have an excuse to use one, in a close situation, it would be better than a gun for defense.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Calvin, I use a cane sometimes. For a while it was an everyday thing but since my neighbor have been walking daily I've found myself not needing it too much. I got a "stockman's cane" from a farm supply for about 8 bucks + shipping. It's 1" hickory and pretty heavy. I got it for protection as well as an aid for walking and feel like I should carry it all the time like my handgun. If I could give some wise a$$ a couple good wacks instead of shooting him we would both be better off. I'm going to make a point of using it daily again.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I intend to use mine all the time when I get it. It would be just like a gun. You never know when you might be in close quarters with danger and not have time to get a gun into action. A cane would also be good dog control while walking. Besides maybe the little old ladies will feel sorry for me and open the doors and give me their seats.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Calvin, you are thinkin' like me now (knock that off). I actually did fend a dog off with it. A little Chihuahua with big teeth, I didn't have to whack it but the cane did scare him off. My neighbor/walking/shootin' buddy laughed his fool head off. It probably looked pretty funny, a 200 pound man pokin' at a 6 pound dog! I'm pretty sure I could take a couple whacks at an aggressor and cause him some big time pain. Let's face it, there probably ain't but one thing more scary than a Louisville Slugger (pretty close in effect to a heavy hardwood cane) and that would be a machete!

Last edited by Vetter; 09-21-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
kansas45

Walking Sticks are cool! One of the things we had to do in a survival course I took was to make a walking staff. Then we had to hunt with it. I killed a rabbit & a bull snake. The bunnie by throwing the stick at it & the snake by smacking it over the head. The best part was that we ate what we killed.......I wasn't too sure about the bull snake, but it was ok roasted over a campfire. I still have the thing & use it when ever I go for a hike.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
Walking Sticks are cool! One of the things we had to do in a survival course I took was to make a walking staff. Then we had to hunt with it. I killed a rabbit & a bull snake. The bunnie by throwing the stick at it & the snake by smacking it over the head. The best part was that we ate what we killed.......I wasn't too sure about the bull snake, but it was ok roasted over a campfire. I still have the thing & use it when ever I go for a hike.
Neat Story Kansas. If a person didn't have anything else, a stick is a lot better than nothing. With sticks and snares a person could get some food. If you can hit a rabbit by throwing a Staff, maybe you should use it to hunt with instead of a gun.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
greener
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
I wanted it where it wouldn't break if I had to hit Sharon over the head with it.
Will it break if Sharon tries it on your pate?
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
kansas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
Will it break if Sharon tries it on your pate?
Let's ask her.........HEY, Sharon, what's the answer?

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Vetter, thanks for the tip on the cane. I had ordered one of them fancy Oak Canes, that was supposed to be 1" , but it turned out to be 3/4". It is light and looks nice for dress, but not a working cane. I ordered a Hickory 1" cane from http://www.enasco.com/product/C07436N for 8.25 plus shipping, and it is a 1" cane. It was unfinished but I had some Golden Oak Stain so I cut about 2" off the crook, sanded it down good, put one coat of stain on it, and 3 coats of linseed oil, and it is just the cats mew.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Sounds pretty cool Calvin. How about a picture when the finish is dry? You haven't made a zip gun out of it yet have you?