Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Local Natural Disaster

Local Natural Disaster Discuss ways to prepare for a Local Natural Disaster. Storms, Fire, Ice and Ect.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Recession or Depression !

My intentions in starting this thread is a wake up call, and not a thread to blame all our problems on someone. We might as well face it. We are in a Recession or Depression, whichever you prefer to call it. What have you done, are you going to do to prepare for it? I hear a lot about what kind of shape we're in, but don't see much preparation for it. I haven't cut back on unnecessary things like I could. Would it be better to cut back now, or wait until we have to? I think, subconsciously, we don't want to admit that things are that bad, and will get better soon. This is food for thought, and I would like to hear your opinions on it. Personally, I feel like I should begin alternating my lifestyle where I would be able to cope with the situation when it gets worse. What do y'all think? I like positive thinking, and try to be positive, but at the same time, I'm a realist, and try to be realistic.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

I definitely think we have a long road ahead of us and that things are going to get much worse before they get better. I don't really blame it on anyone either. I think there is plenty of blame to go around.

The State of Kansas is talking about reducing all State Employee's pay by 10%. The way they plan to do this is to have us all work 4 nine hour days instead of 5 eight hour days. It's not official, but a State Senator has introduced a bill about it. He also wants to do away with all holiday pay. Hiring is already frozen - no current or future vacancies will be filled.

I haven't really planned for any of this. If I were to do anything soon, it would be to try to trim down my debt. That is the one thing that might kill me off in the long term. We actually live pretty frugally now. (If I quit spending money on guns and shooting that is.) I bought another one yesterday, but I think that will be the last one until things improve.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

A lot of people have lost their jobs here. Nothing is fully secure. Even pensions. The last depression proved that. I'm beginning to think that it would be best for me to start preparing now, and if it doesn't happen, and things get better, then I'll just be that much better off. I am completely debt free, but my cost of living is still way too high. My wife and I should be able to live on what one of us makes, but it takes what we both get. I'm going to start trying to retrain my thinking in spending. I found when I was young that the more money I made, the more I spent. When I was without a Job, my spending stopped. I know I could reduce my spending by half if I had to. Why can't I now, before I have to?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
kansas45

The Trucking Industry is sucking air right now. I'm busy in the body shop because companey's can't afford to buy replacements, so they are refubrishing their old stuff. Salvage prices are down, so insurance companys are fixing trucks instead of totaling them. Cessana announced a 4000 employee lay-off for Wichita. It's not pretty. That's for sure!

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

I'm still waiting on the President's Economic Stimulous Package to bail me out! But it seems to be a little slow in coming.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Saw where the Congress and Senate has passed it and its going for his Signature. Got 8000 special interest attachments. Surely you will fit into one of the categories!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Cary

With the Lord's help my wife and I started preparing for this many years ago. At that time we were not aware of just how bad things would get but this preparation has rewarded us. The industry I was employed in up until last October was going through a large change. The company I was employed with had to make very large investments in the local facility they operated here or shut the doors. I seen this issue coming with the company at least eight years ago and made financial decisions accordingly. We have been debt free now for six years and now being myself 55 and unemployed I am so glad we were able to do that. I have an AAS in my chosen field (Electronics Technology) and 14 years of experience and I have not been able to find a job of any kind since 10/30/08. My wife is still employed and we are blessed financially. I would say becoming debt free is real good advice in this present economic environment.
Cary
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
With the Lord's help my wife and I started preparing for this many years ago. At that time we were not aware of just how bad things would get but this preparation has rewarded us. The industry I was employed in up until last October was going through a large change. The company I was employed with had to make very large investments in the local facility they operated here or shut the doors. I seen this issue coming with the company at least eight years ago and made financial decisions accordingly. We have been debt free now for six years and now being myself 55 and unemployed I am so glad we were able to do that. I have an AAS in my chosen field (Electronics Technology) and 14 years of experience and I have not been able to find a job of any kind since 10/30/08. My wife is still employed and we are blessed financially. I would say becoming debt free is real good advice in this present economic environment.
Cary
Sounds like you made some very wise choices Cary! I wish I would have been smart enough to do that myself. Good luck with finding a job...surely things will turn around sooner or later and open up some opportunities.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
Cary
Cary, I totally agree with you. Debt is what is killing those that are unemployed, and that is what is killing the economy. IMHO, if there is one thing we can blame the economic crash on, its Debt, and instead of trying to curb it, our Gov. is going deeper in. The end results of unpaid debts is Bankruptcy. I will be surprised if that don't happen to our Country. I'm like you, if I had lots of debts now, I would be in big trouble. Luckily, my Son has listened to me, and is not heavily in debt. It sure makes a difference when you don't have a job.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Cary

Thanks for the encourgment guys. The way this present administration is giving/spending money I'm concerned the whole economic system we have here in the U.S. may cave in. Where is all this money coming from they seem to have an endless supply of? Is there really anthing backing it or are they just printing it up some place?
I don't know you guys very well and don't want to impose on you or your beliefs. I'm reading a very eye opening book at this time for a class at church that will start this Sunday. It is writen by a pastor from a church in California and is intitled "What in the World is Going On" (Dr. David Jeremiah). It is a real eye opener and will stimulate your thinking if nothing else on some of the events we are seeing in the world right now. Thanks again.
Cary

Last edited by Cary; 03-12-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote