Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Knives

Knives This is a Place to Discuss Knives of all kinds.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
panther
Extraordinary Member

Default Cheap knives

Sometimes I'm a sucker for a bargain. The other day I had to buy a Ruger LCR cap, and a LCP cap, even though I don't own one, just cause it was cheap. Today I stopped in a gun shop and they had a big plastic tub full of cheap knives. They were all brand new, Frost Cutlery, Chinese pocket knives, none were over $4.50.
I wound up with 5 of them, all marked for US military groups, like Navy Seals, Marines, etc. One was a Dale Earnhardt comm. in a blister pack that I may give to a nephew who is a racing fan.
They all seem to have a pretty sharp edge on them, lock in place securely, and will be good for the car glove box, tackle box, toolbox, etc. I'll keep my fancier knives in my case and keep them looking good longer.
5 knives for just $16, I could go to Bass Pro, Academy, etc. and just get one for that price, and it would be made in China too.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Panther, I like your style.

I remember when knives were cheap but I haven't paid much attention to cheap knives lately. I'll have to start looking at them.

I am surprised at the quantity & quality of stainless steel anymore. Everything seems to be stainless now even the exhaust systems on our cars. Don't know what that has to do with cheap knives but there you go.
Benvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
caneman

I've put a Opinel #8 folder and a Frost Swedish Army fixed blade in each of my vehicles as last ditch knives. All were chosen with carbon steel blades only because they strike a better spark with a Firesteel.

I've scattered a few cerrofarium steels around but I'm looking for another dozen and a half or so to add them as inexpensive Christmas gifts. If you don't get name brands and get them without handles you can sometimes find them reasonably priced and make your own handles.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
caneman

It ocurred to me that another inexpensive knife to add to my semi-emergency supplies would be the box knife. One of those and a small package of replacement blades will do a lot of work for very low cost and is contained in a small package.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
kansas45

There are some pretty nice folding box knives on the market nowdays. And they don't really cost all that much.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Dr Dave

Volume in knives is OK; you can't have too many - greatest tool there is. Get yourself some quality ones also; they're not that expensive. Big Cold Steel fan here.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Talking about "cheap" knives. I bought a small lockback knife with 3" blade (made in Pakistan) about 1975 for $1.00. I paid $1.50 for the belt case to carry it in. $2.50 full investment. I have gutted well over 30 deer with that knife as well as other critters and still have that knife today. I sharpen it about once a year. Now if that's not a deal, I don't know what is!.................Dick
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

This wouldn't qualify as a cheap knife, but I saw one I sure would like to have. Walked in a gun shop Saturday and saw a folder with grip panels like a 1911. Man, what a pretty knife. Unfortunately, the price was $110. It's still in the shop.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
guitslo

Rman, I bought one of these some time back for considerably less. It is a great, well built knife with a good feel and look, expecially if you're a 1911 guy.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitslo View Post
Rman, I bought one of these some time back for considerably less. It is a great, well built knife with a good feel and look, expecially if you're a 1911 guy.
Well... I'm definitely a 1911 guy. Wanna sell it?