Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:00 PM   #51
rman
Extraordinary Member

I've been watching the Texas Bowl. Kansas State University is playing LSU. It's half time right now and K-State leads 21-7. I sure hope we can keep it up.

Now that I have some memory in my old desktop, I was able to install anti-virus software again. I had removed my old free av software, but when I tried to install the new software, I got a "not enough memory" message. All is well now and the computer seems to be faster. It probably doesn't have to keep swapping memory back and forth between physical memory and the page file so much.

Glad your vision is working better Vetter. Next thing you know, you can ditch the glasses.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:44 AM   #52
Vetter
Banned

Red face

Been up since 2:10 AM laying in the recliner hoping to fall asleep. Darn gout Devil is chewing on my foot! I took all 3 colchicine (poison) pills, can't take any more for 3 days, hope they work. I give up Molly, mug of coffee please. When I first had the cataracts removed I was 3 years with no glasses but I need them bad now. No big deal, I wore glasses since I was a kid. I just tried reading some pretty small type, with my glasses & it's much better than yesterday morning. For distance the one he just did is much better than the other one. I don't go back until April, I'll ask if he can do the other one. This gout attack is the worse one ever. I blew the blood draw today taking the colchicine, I'll go tomorrow. I'll be back, thanks for the coffee Molly. Going back to the recliner, maybe the morning "all Covid report" will put me to sleep.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:07 AM   #53
panther
Extraordinary Member

Good morning all. Molly, coffee and a donut please. Thanks.
It's only going to be in the 30's today. This time tomorrow it will be in the teens. It's looking like the same for Friday now. There is a slight chance for flurries tomorrow.
Vetter, I'm glad your eye is better, very sorry about the gout. When I couldn't sleep during Christmas break I watched infomercials. Battery operated mops and Emeril's pots and pans usually did the trick.
Rman, glad the Equinox is back in the stable.
Greener, I'm glad you didn't get too much snow. The mess on the highway is hard to believe. There will be lawsuits over that one.
I turned in the legal document I had to sign to put me in the early retirement plan yesterday. I will get a settlement of $2000 for every year of employment. I am not eligible for rehire to the school. I visited one of the bigger gun shops here over the weekend. We got talking about jobs because they only had 3 guys working. I mentioned I was retiring in the summer and the guy I was talking to said I should put in for some hours there. I'm not sure how much authority he has in hiring but it's something I may consider in the future, if I feel like it's something I want to do. Judy will probably have enough chores around the house to keep me busy.
Have a great Wed. Stay safe.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #54
greener
Extraordinary Member

Good morning. Up, moving and surviving the blizz ard of 2022. My eco-friendly snow removal is working well. That's ignore it and let it melt when it warms up. A little left on the tops of the cars which I'll push off sometime today.

Panther, sounds like your retirement may work out fairly well. Let the younger smart guys handle it.

It got warm enough for the big mess on I95 get cleared. People were stuck in the jam for up to 20 hours. One of the stuckee's was Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) former governor and Hillary's VP candidate. It appears that he and/or his staff couldn't light a fire under those in charge to get it cleared. But that is the story of his political career. Did here interviews on folks who were stuck, most started with "I'm from the Nawth and I knows all about snow". They apparently didn't know enough to stay off interstates as the snow started sticking. I lived in the Nawth and learned that interstates turn into parking lots every time it snows.

Just heard that my esteemed senator took 27 hours to make the 90 mile trek from Richmond to DC. The current gov was on TV talking about the problem and really didn't seem to give a hoot. His general lack of competence is amplified by being in the last 2 weeks of his term. The boy has a real short timer Tude.

Glad you got your surgery with no extra holes, vetter. My thoughts when they were doing things with my eyeballs was "don't cough, no matter what, don't cough."

Glad to see the Equinox is back in the fold and you have done your patriotic duty of keeping the economy going, rman.

I think I remember that if they don't match faster DIMMs had to be put into the first slots or you get a memory error. When I've upgraded memory I've done that and never had a problem. Of course, I may never have had a problem had I ignored that. Good to see that you got the old box working.

I started the process of figuring out which replacement keys I need for this laptop and pulled the Y key which wasn't working too well so I could get a picture. I replaced the wireless mouse with a wireless mouse and keyboard and, fortunately it will sit on the laptop keyboard without interfering with the keys. It also types better than the laptop keyboard.

Just saw that the IRS is after the big, rich guys. They've decided that if you use certain apps, like paypal, and pay more than $600 for services you need to generate a 1099. Pam's newspaper archives services are more than $600/year. I wonder if she has to send Ancestry a 1099 for those services.

Just got a letter from my former home security company that I owe them $13.79 and if I don't pay by 12/26 they will turn me in to a collection agency. Their policy was I couldn't exit that account until they sent me a letter which turned out to be a please stay letter. They could have billed me for any service up to that date, I was on autopay.

The hound is reminding me that we need to to slush walking.

Y'all have a great day.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #55
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good morning. I guess I tried to sleep the whole day away. Sharon woke me up at 9:40. I hate sleeping in that late. It messes up my whole routine for the day.

Vetter I'm glad your eye surgery worked out well. If you are considering having the other eye redone, you might consider having the old lens removed and a new one put in place. Ask your doctor about monovision. It sure worked out well for me. Sorry you are struggling with the gout again. I was beginning to think you were out of the woods on that.

Panther working in a gun shop sounds like a great way to stay occupied and make a little money as well. I'd love it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to save much money from the job. I'm sure I wouldn't be turning over my whole paycheck to the shop to pay for all the goodies I bought.

Greener I don't know what the deal is on the DIMMs. The new ones match the specs of the original ones. It may have been an issue with seating them. More often than not, I've found that memory problems are caused by 2 things: wrong DIMMs or not being seated properly. Hope you don't get sued for the $13.79.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #56
Vetter
Banned

Wink

Coffee please Molly, thanks. I just got up after about an hour nap, Satan slowed down chewing on my foot. Think the poison pills are working.
Panther, infomercials do work! Working at a gun shop sounds like something you would enjoy. The bonus is a good incentive to retire. I figured I didn't get rich all the years I worked, a few more wouldn't make or break me. The surgeon that gutted me got me disability, I think I was 58. That got me Medicare at 60, big plus for sure. You'll be a happy man!
Greener, glad Sen. Kaine was among those stranded. I'm sure the Amtrack train stopped more than 30 hours with blocked toilets and no food sucked but better than being on I95. Getting around DC, Baltimore & thru Philly always sucks. Never did it in the snow. The eye surgeon thanked me for being a good patient. I took half a Xanax an hour before & got positioned comfy as possible before he started. I hate the laptop keyboards but would get used to one but the screen is too small for my everyday use. I use 150% zoom on my 24" screen, next one will be bigger.
Rman, I will ask about Monovision, I know less about eye surgery than computers. You're never out of the woods with gout, there is no cure. The meds to help control it & Nephrologist cut that dose in half & took away the gout pain meds, it's been hell since. I can live better with pain than without kidneys. His changing to more kidney friendly meds have improved kidney function.
Anyway, see you all later.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:06 PM   #57
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up Feels good to feel good!

Nothing new since the last visit. Gout feels good, I'm a happy camper. I'll sure sleep tonight. Gotta get up early to do the fasting blood draw I was supposed to do today. They open at 7AM, then it's off to the Farm Market, they still have vine ripe tomatoes. They must get them from Homestead Fl, they grow year round there. Ok gang, having a snack so I don't starve fasting. Goodnight!
Old 01-05-2022, 10:36 PM   #58
rman
Extraordinary Member

The weather bureau thinks it's snowing here, but I haven't seen any yet. Think I'll go to bed before I do see some. Good night - be safe and keep smilin!
Old 01-06-2022, 05:58 AM   #59
panther
Extraordinary Member

Good morning all. Molly, just coffee please. Thanks
It's 18*, feels like 8. There is a very, very fine snow falling. You can see it in the street lights. So far it isn't really sticking to anything. Hopefully, if it does, it's cold enough that we can just broom it off. The temps are supposed to drop a little more through the day. It's going to be like this until Saturday.
Our I.T. dep't has been replacing some of the projectors and screens in our conference rooms with big flat screen TV's. They put an 86" TV in one room yesterday. The Tv's are much nicer. Better picture, less likely to be bothered by ceiling lights, no projector bulbs to worry about replacing. They just hook them up to the computers in the room and they're good to go.
I hope you all have a great day.

8a.m.- Well, it's snowing. We might get close to an inch after all. It's so cold, it's not sticking to the sidewalks, we can broom it off easily.

Last edited by panther; 01-06-2022 at 07:57 AM.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #60
Vetter
Banned

Cool

Good morning! Molly, 2 cups to go please. Back from the "Dracula'a Blood Draw," on the way to the Farm Market & Burger King breakfast. Picking up a good balanced diet of veggies, then cholesterol bomb croissant bacon, egg & cheese sammies. Balanced?
Panther, it's 61 now, going to 77 & sunny, zero chance of snow! We have had a 75" smarter than me TV for almost 2 years now. It' almost too big sitting close as my recliner is, about 10', like front row at the movies. My desk is about 20' away & that's perfect. I guess I could move the recliner back a little.
Everybody have a great day, later!