Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #31
greener
Extraordinary Member

Good morning. The good news is that the weather guys are on full alert and working overtime. Storm Rider is out and about and has been for hours for the first snow of the season. Everything was shut down for snow when the temperatures were 60F last night. It's good news because snow is such a rare event that everyone panics. Looks like we may have 6" of good news.

Solar hound isn't showing much interest in coming out of his cage.

dowop, enjoy the sabbatical.

rman, I had the wheel bearings on my Tahoe replaced years ago, 300 miles from home. Bite in the bank account, but much cheaper than than jacking the car up and driving a new(er) one under it. The bearing didn't come off easily and I watched the guys with knowledge and equipment work pretty hard. Bill had the same opinion on his. Muffler Man was better than him whaling on the bearing in his driveway in the winter.

Football (Washington, Dallas) was ok. I'd have preferred the more exciting games. I read that Brown's tantrum cost him about $1million. Nice to not need the money.

Day 6 staying in with no symptoms. Pam was out for a run to the very depleted grocery store last night.

Y'all have a great day.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #32
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
Day 6 staying in with no symptoms.
Sounds promising, keeping my fingers crossed!

Current temp 64 here, that's coffee temp Molly, thanks! I seen on the news feed D.C. offices were shut down for the snow & thought about you Greener. I figured you would be getting some too. Didn't think 6", that's a major storm for your area! Elvis has a fur coat but no goulashes for the snow! The huge load on my tow vehicle & trailer I never missed a year cleaning & repacking inner & outer bearings on both. Twenty years of Ket West & back to Pa. with only one failure. It was on the trailer, I had a spare set & changed them on the road. I was so overweight I put air shocks on the "Trailer Special" model Suburban & added a leaf to each of the 4 leaf springs on the trailer. The Bucs beat the Jets in a thriller. Antonio Brown is a nut case, he's also no longer a Bucs wide receiver. At 33 he'll be lucky if any team picks him up. OK, everybody have a great day!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #33
rman
Extraordinary Member

The service writer than I use at the Chevy dealer called about the Equinox. It turns out to be the problem that I thought was least likely. I guessed it was probably a bearing and maybe it could be the E brake. Turns out, it was the emergency brake. I sure didn't know how those worked on a fairly modern car. The rear disc brake rotor is also a brake drum. There is a set of old-fashioned brake shoes on the inside of the rotor. The left rear was locked up and the shoes need to be replaced on both sides. According to his estimate, this will be a cheaper (not cheap) fix than the bearings and hubs.

https://www.autozone.com/znetrgs/rep...528008a6da.gif
Old 01-03-2022, 11:47 AM   #34
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

I had no idea that's how the new e-brakes worked. Glad it was a less expensive fix! You can buy the coffee tomorrow!
Old 01-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #35
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Smile Teddybear checkin in

Howdy all. It was a cold start to our day, 13 at 7am. Not as cold as rman, but still chilly. Its sunny today for the first time in a week. Now if it would only get up to 56 like it did Saturday... The catalytic converter needs to be replaced on the S 10. They wanted 2 grand to replace it. The mechanic said as long as it's running good and there's no lights on on the dash and I don't mind the rattle just leave it alone. I think for 2 grand I can get used to the rattle.

Didn't do much yesterday. Went to church, and watched Yellowstone re-runs all afternoon till the season finale came on. Then called it a day.

greener, looks like you may have dodged the Covid bullet.

panther, enjoy the last day off.

Later.

Life is good.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #36
Vetter
Banned

Red face

Yikes Teddy! I hope you don't have emissions testing! Two grand rattles would make me turn up the radio. Here in Florida we have no emissions test or state safety inspection.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #37
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetter View Post
I hope you don't have emissions testing
We don't Vetter. They use to safety test all second division vehicles (trucks). Several years ago they stopped safety testing any truck licensed to haul 8,000 pounds or less which is essentially pickup's. There has never been any testing for passenger car's to my knowledge. As far as I know, Illinois has never had emissions testing either.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:08 PM   #38
rman
Extraordinary Member

Cable Dahmer called late this afternoon and said the Equinox was done. We'll go pick it up tomorrow. I'll buy the coffee tomorrow Vetter.

Teddybear the Chevy dealer charged me $1100 to replace the catalytic converter on the Equinox. It actually was cheaper than that because they had to replace the exhaust manifold also - it was cracked.

The high today was 43 and tomorrow will be about the same. Then the bottom drops out again. Wednesday's high will be 31 and Thursday it will be 13. Yikes! I may hibernate until April.

Went to the doctor today. They removed the last of the stitches and I got a clean bill of health.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:15 PM   #39
Vetter
Banned

Wink

Teddybear, Florida did have safety inspections but stopped them about 20 years ago. Pa. has safety inspection & emissions. Repair shops do it & it's a real racket. Most are crooks.
Rman, I guess $1100 isn't too bad, gulp! I looked up the catalytic converter & manifold for my Nissan, they are one piece & they're about $700. Hope the heat keeps running! My friend in Pa. that has had the lungs transplant with Covid is breathing on his own with help from oxygen. They were able to avoid a ventilator, for 2 days it was touch & go. He said he is just about out of the woods. Niece & 2 of her boys still have it, whole family is quarantined.
Time for a snack, a car show & bed. Good night & God bless.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:28 PM   #40
rman
Extraordinary Member

Vetter you can bet the dealer is going to get more than $700 for that part and the labor will add a bunch more. Mine was still a lot cheaper than what they are quoting Teddybear for his S10. Kansas has never had vehicle inspections unless you are trying to title a car with a salvage title. The Highway Patrol does those inspections. I hope your friend makes a full recovery from the covid. Time to hit the bunk.