Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Frugal Living > Gardening

Gardening A Place to discuss your Gardening

Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Your 2010 Garden!

I had already ordered about 50.00 worth of garden seed, and yesterday, I ordered another 100.00 worth. Still got to get about 50.00 worth of local stuff, like seed potatoes and tomatoes. I hope I can raise 200.00 worth of food out of it. Most of the seed I ordered is heirloom seed so I can keep some that I raise for next year. Considering that, its not too bad. Whats weird, two of the online companies that I had ordered seeds from before are sold out and quit taking orders. Must be a lot of people gardening.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

I think my garden is going to be the upside-down 'maters again. Only this time, I'm buying name brand plants!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
I think my garden is going to be the upside-down 'maters again. Only this time, I'm buying name brand plants!
Father-in-law had some last year and they grew down, then turned and grew up, and he had right side up Tomatoes, from a hanging plant.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
Father-in-law had some last year and they grew down, then turned and grew up, and he had right side up Tomatoes, from a hanging plant.
Yup - they do that. Mine did the same thing. I had lots of tomatoes, but they were all small. I think it was the kind of plants I used. I had two and they were rip-offs of Beefeaters and Big Boys. This year it's going to be the real thing!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

Didn't have much luck with the upsidedown tomatoes. Mine also grew up and when the tomatoes put weight on the vine they would break. Not real pleased with them. The ones in the pots did great. They also tasted better. Got some pea seeds ready to go. Had a nice crop of them last year.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortdraw View Post
Didn't have much luck with the upsidedown tomatoes. Mine also grew up and when the tomatoes put weight on the vine they would break. Not real pleased with them. The ones in the pots did great. They also tasted better. Got some pea seeds ready to go. Had a nice crop of them last year.
I've got a couple of pretty good sized pots Chortdraw - I might take your advice and use them instead.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Vetter
Banned

Smile

I use pots because the "dirt" here is coral and you don't just "dig a garden". last two years they got bugs and I decided not to bother this year. Where I dump the pots of garden soil around the Hibiscus there must have had a seed and I have a whopper of a tomato plant. No ripees yet but we're lookin foward to them. We grow our tomatoes here in the winter because the summer temps don't go low enough to ripen them. I think I'll enjoy a real garden when we move to central Florida.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
caneman

Our down side up didn't work well either. Back to container growing this year.

We've been growing all heirloom (almost) for about 3 years now. We're going to continue with them but with the geopolitical thing the way it is I think I'll buy some new hybrids each year even if they sit in a drawer all year. The hybrids often have better yields and different disease resistance.

I'm thinking if things really go to pot I will need some extra yield while I learn to be a better gardener and it also gives me an extra period to do some soil improvement at my place and intrude on my neighbors. Even one extra row of something would be a considerable increase on our little lot.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
rman
Extraordinary Member

I have plenty of room for a garden. One problem is that my place sits on a rocky shelf and there isn't much top soil. In order to have a decent garden, I'd have to have top soil hauled in and leveled up. The other problem is I live next to several hundred acres of Corps of Engineers land. With that comes deer, coons, rabbits and other critters. I'd probably have to have an 8 foot chain link fence to keep the deer out. They destroyed some young trees I planted a fews years back. When I replaced them, I had to put a fence around each one of them to keep the bucks from skinning all the bark off them. Maybe I should just buy my vegetables and put the deer in the freezer!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I got 6' 2x4" welded wire to put around mine. I hope it is high enough to keep the deer out. If not, my .06 is. I read about growing potatoes in a bed. Starting a bed and just adding dirt around the potatoes as they grow and they will keep putting no new roots and potatoes. If I didn't have a big garden to put them this year I would try it. I have winter onions in a rear tractor tire in my yard in town, and it is surprising how many you can grow in such small space.