Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Recommendations > Things you would not Recommend for others.

Things you would not Recommend for others. Things you have tried, and wouldn't Recommend to others.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Still think you want an electric car?

If you want to argue with a "green" person over cars that are Eco-friendly, just read the below:

Note: However, if you ARE the green person, read it anyway. Enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors...and he writes...For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000... So the American Government wants proud and loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay 3 times as much for a car, that costs more than 7 times as much to run, and takes 3 times longer to drive across the country... Where do I sign up?
Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
kansas45

No thank you.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Vetter
Banned

Talking

I never did want one, not even a Tesla almost "Supercar". I like to hear my horses "Snort and Nicker", not Hum. Is Obama giving them away yet? If cars were supposed to be electric, Henry Ford would have made them! Cheap gas tanks last many years longer than the expensive batteries too. Want to use electricity for something useful, wire up a bunch of chairs for the prison guests overstaying their welcome. Plenty reasons why they should quit makin' them and that's why they call me "Vetter"!

Last edited by Vetter; 05-31-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Not that I'm wanting to run out an buy one, but the information researched on this says the opposite of what was posted. I have no desire to run a green car.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ctric-car.html
Old 07-01-2016, 05:28 AM   #5
greener
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
I have no desire to run a green car.
British racing green used to be popular.

Electric cars work well if you can get free electricity at an EV station. Of course my truck would do better if I could get free gasoline. They work well when you get them subsidized by your friends and neighbors in the form of a tax rebate. And I like the guy who charges his electric cars (rebates?) with his subsidized home PV array. I'll stick with gasoline.

An engineer at my former employer's Seattle plant converted a VW minivan to electric and used it to commute. He had an array of car batteries (I think) to power it. Overall, it was a pretty good piece of tinkering. He recharged it at work. To do so, he had an outlet built as one of the company construction projects so he could recharge. He plugged it in each day. He was proud of just how green he was until someone pointed out that he was steeling electricity from the company. What? he said. Would you pump gasoline from a company tank into your car and not pay? Well, what's the difference?
greener is offline   Reply With Quote