Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Handguns > Gunsmith and Gun Care

Gunsmith and Gun Care A Place to Discuss Gun smithing and Gun Care.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Default Latest "Rust Bucket" project!!!

Got a new project to tinker with. A friend brought me a "rust bucket" to restore if possible, for a friend of his. An old Springfield Model 87A. ( Same as a Savage Model 6) It's pretty bad, but think I can restore it. Depends on how deep the rust is. Ever try to take rusted screws out of a gun? One of my favorite pastimes!!! Got two more screws to take out and I'll have it apart. The plug at the rear of the receiver was so rusted in, it took lots of penetrating fluid, heat and a large Stillson wrench being "leaned" on to get it out. Almost looks like the gun was "buried". Will post pics "if" I get it restored. A buddy gave me an old Hopkins & Allen 12 ga single shot that I will be tackling later on into the early winter to restore. These restorations are always a great challenge for me and I enjoy them. Will keep you abreast of the progress on the "Rust Bucket" job!....................Dick
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
kansas45

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
A very good penetrating oil (and you can make it yourself) is 1/2 DOT 3 brake fluid & 1/2 ATF. This is the best stuff I have used.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good luck with those 2 projects Dick. Are either of those guns worth the effort?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

Dick, you are sure a good buddy to have! I'm a good buddy for you to have, I have no "projects" for you! I'm sure you enjoy using your skills to make the impossible funtion again!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
A very good penetrating oil (and you can make it yourself) is 1/2 DOT 3 brake fluid & 1/2 ATF. This is the best stuff I have used.
Thanks Kansas. I'll make some of that. I'm always needing penetrating oil for something.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

rman, What makes these kind of projects "worth it", is seeing an old gun that was a dear "friend" to someone when it was new, come back to life again to be used by a "new" dear friend! The Springfield 87A is coming back to life! I got it all apart and it is cleaning up very well. I have it on my lathe right now getting the "worst" of the pitting out. Need to order a few parts it needs. The bore turned out to be a lot better than the outside of the barrel! Been busy with a lot of other projects but hope to get back to working it tomorrow. Sure is nice working in my basement shop with the old wood stove cooking. I get her up to 75/80 degrees, put some of my old band tapes on the player and life is "good" as I work the old guns!..............Dick
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

Makes perfect sense to me bowhunter. Hope the project comes out good!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
greener
Extraordinary Member

Pictures?
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

I'll post some pics as soon as soon as I figure out how! Can I post them on my post or are they posted elsewhere? Do I have to post them on Photobucket and then download them to my post. Help me out here guys. I'm not a photo guru!...............Dick
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

What gives? I posted my photos on photobucket and then downloaded them on my post and the preview showed the photo, but when I posted the thread, no photo! Just a message I don't understand. Help!!!!!!!!!...............Dick