Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Healthy Living

Healthy Living What do you do, or not do to make your Life Healthier.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
I don't have much of an exercise program. I try to walk as much as I can. Last summer Sharon and I were walking 3.5 miles every night at the local high school track. We had to quit because she broke her pelvis walking. The doctor said she had osteoporosis, but has never really done anything for her - says it has to heal on its own. Six months later, it still hasn't healed. I've starting walking on the treadmill at home again. I have to see my cardiologist in February. I'm pretty sure he's going to give me a nuclear stress test again and I want to be ready for it. They work you so hard it wears me slick! I also want to take a stab at quitting smoking and the exercise helps.
Sorry that it is taking a long time for your Sharon to recover. My Sharon had a bad Stroke a few years ago, and recovery has been long and hard for her, but she has come a long way. Our health can deteriorate fast, but it takes a long time to get it back.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
Sorry that it is taking a long time for your Sharon to recover. My Sharon had a bad Stroke a few years ago, and recovery has been long and hard for her, but she has come a long way. Our health can deteriorate fast, but it takes a long time to get it back.
I'm glad your Sharon has gotten much better. I know several people who have suffered strokes and it takes a lot of determination and hard work to recover their speech and motor skills. Some never do...I hope I would have the courage to fight it. I had heart by-pass surgery in 1982 and again in 1993. I worked really hard to recover from those surgeries so that I could return to work. The last by-passes seem to be holding up pretty good. I still have one small artery on the back side of my heart that is about 70% blocked. The cardiologist says that it is not worth the risk of by-passing that one. It's too small to stent. He says if it closes up completely it would cause only minor damage. I take quite a bit of medication - Vytorin, Plavix, Toprol and some delayed release nitroglycerin tablets every day. The only time I have any pain is when it's really cold outside (like today), or I over exert myself. It kind of sucks to be an old fart, but it beats the alternative!

Last edited by rman; 12-16-2008 at 11:35 AM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Vetter
Banned

Smile

My neighbor and I do a walk/BS session daily. We started in November and have not missed too many days. Now that it is so hot I've been walking in the pool. He's been away on a 4 week motor cycle ride but he'll start pool walking when he returns. We can still shoot the breeze in the water!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote