Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Handguns > Revolvers

Old 07-04-2018, 03:22 AM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Too many movies

I guess I watched too many western movies and cop shows on tv. I have a lot of affection for my 1911's and even like my "plastic wonder nines", but my real love is still revolvers. There just isn't any shooting more fun for me than taking out the revolvers. It's kind of a toss up between single and double actions. I have more single actions in more calibers, but I made my living with double actions for a few years.

I'm a Ruger fan so of course all my single actions are Rugers.

Bearcat .22 with adjustable sights
Single Six Convertible .22/.22 WMR
Single Six .32 H&R Mag
Blackhawk Convertible .357/9mm
Blackhawk .41 Mag
Blackhawk Convertible .45 Colt/.45 Auto
Super Blackhawk .44 Mag

These guys are all fun to shoot and are all surprising accurate. The larger caliber ones work great for long range shooting. They've got tall front sights and make hold over easy. I guess I'm easy to entertain because I can spend a couple of hours banging away at the 50 yard gong or 100 yard targets at the outdoor range.

I've owned a lot of nice double action Smith & Wessons over the years and I wish I had most of them back. I'm a little thin on them these days.

Model 17 .22 LR
Model 642 .38 Spec
Model 60 .357 Mag
Model 625 JM .45 Auto

Other brands
Ruger Security Six .357. I carried that one on duty for awhile and used it in a lot of police combat matches.
Taurus 941 .22 WMR

Is anyone else addicted to revolvers?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:48 AM   #2
panther
Extraordinary Member

Sorry it took me a month to notice this was on here. I'm a revolver fan too and have started moving back to them this year.
I also love the Ruger single actions. I've owned quite a few over the years. One of my favorites was a Blackhawk Bisley in 44mag. The Bisley frame really did take some of the punch out of the recoil. It felt like a 357 going off, not a huge difference, but you could feel it. I'd like to find another Bisley, but I never see them around here. I'd bid on one on Gunbroker, but shops in this town have really high fees to receive them.
I've had a few Colts, I had 2 Troopers at one time. I paid less then $300 for each. Those go for $800 and up now. I doubt if I'll ever get another.
I recently got a Rock Island M206. A 38spl snubbie. It's crude by Colt or S&W standards. But, it was only $200, and I traded the guy some holsters and ammo and cut the price by half. I haven't shot it yet, but it locks up tight. It's all steel. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one panther. Actually, I think greener is fond of them too. I've never owned a Bisley, but always wanted to try one. My SBH .44 has a 7.5" barrel and the Dragoon style trigger guard. That is supposed to make it more comfortable to shoot, but I find it's just the opposite. I don't mind the recoil, but the square trigger guard bangs up the knuckle on my index finger. The .41 is lighter, recoils just as much, and is more comfortable to shoot.

It amazes me how much Troopers go for these days. I had one once and of course, should have kept it. I haven't read anything about the Rock Island revolvers. Their semi-autos are darn good though, so I see no reason why the revolvers wouldn't be good too.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Smile

I'm partial to revolvers too. Truth be told I prefer them but in these times you need something flat & tuck-able.

I have a couple Rugers from the old days. Speed Six, stainless, .357 with snub nose. And a Security Six, stainless, .357 with 6" barrel.

The Security Six w/6" barrel is my all time favorite. It's so accurate & steady it even makes me seem, if not a great shot, at least, a high medium shooter.

They are both 200th year (1976) so I don't exercise them often anymore.

Now you have me thinking I should check out a Ruger catalog for a new range revolver.

Just what I need, buy another gun.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvenue View Post
I'm partial to revolvers too. Truth be told I prefer them but in these times you need something flat & tuck-able.

I have a couple Rugers from the old days. Speed Six, stainless, .357 with snub nose. And a Security Six, stainless, .357 with 6" barrel.

The Security Six w/6" barrel is my all time favorite. It's so accurate & steady it even makes me seem, if not a great shot, at least, a high medium shooter.

They are both 200th year (1976) so I don't exercise them often anymore.

Now you have me thinking I should check out a Ruger catalog for a new range revolver.

Just what I need, buy another gun.
You've got a couple of really nice revolvers there Ben. I have a 4" stainless security six. I wish I would have bought a 2-3/4" speed six when they were cheap. I keep looking at them, but they are pretty proud of them. I'm not sure why Ruger quit making them. The GP100's are nice guns, but I like the Six series better. Why didn't they do like Smith with their K and L frames - keep them both?

I reckon a new 6" GP100 would make you a nice range gun Ben.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Ruger Blackhawks 22lr/mag-357mag, Super Blackhawks in 44 mag, Security Sixes, S&W mod 10, 36, 60, 19, 66, 617, 625, Rossi 44spl, Taurus 357mag, Taurus Judge 45 Colt/.410, Interarms Dragoon 44mag.

Yeah, I like revolvers also.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
Ruger Blackhawks 22lr/mag-357mag, Super Blackhawks in 44 mag, Security Sixes, S&W mod 10, 36, 60, 19, 66, 617, 625, Rossi 44spl, Taurus 357mag, Taurus Judge 45 Colt/.410, Interarms Dragoon 44mag.

Yeah, I like revolvers also.
Yes sir - I can see that!