Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #71
chris1234
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chris1234

they tasted good, not soggy at all and no one noticed. good job i did not boil them by accident for too long.

i will have to come up with some recipes for part boiled potatoes.
cheers chris
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #72
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Default Shop Goof-Ups!

Since I have spent a lot of time in my life in workshops, that's where a lot of my misscues have taken place. It had been a while since I messed up until a few days ago. I was in the process of making a gunsmithing jig and had to heat up a piece of hardened steel to anneal it for drilling and tapping. I like to place these pieces on an old brick to cool off slowly. The piece of steel was irregularly shaped. After I had heated it up, I grabbed the nearest tool at hand to take it out of the vice and that tool was a pair of common pliers. Just as I was transferring this "hot" part to the brick, the pliers let go and the hot piece of steel fell into my plastic bag lined garbage can. Luckily my basement floor is concrete. I dumped out the entire contents onto the floor to get to the steel piece. By this time, it was fully coated with everything it had touched, including some packing "popcorn" styrofoam, plastic bag, wood shavings, etc., etc.! Lesson learned. Don't handle a "hot" piece of steel with the "wrong" tool, especially if the part is irregularly shaped!.................Dick
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #73
chris1234
Extraordinary Member

too hot to handle.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #74
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Default Fishing hooks in body parts!

As a retired Air Force Medic, and spending several years as NCOIC of an AF Hospital Emergency Room in Michigan, (great fishing area) I had occasion to take many a fish hook out of people in my time. Calvin, you wouldn't have been embarrassed in my Emergency Room at all. During the local salmon run up the Ausable River, we used to keep "score" of how many hooks we extracted from people! When the barbs are already through the skin, the best way to extract the hook is to cut the back-end off and push the barbed end back through the skin to the outside. I used to shoot the area up with lidocaine to deaden the pain and then clean the wound and bandage if necessary. Follow that up with a Tetanus shot. I took a hook out of the side of my neck once in a fishing boat out on the river and my buddy almost fainted and fell out of the boat. Couldn't figure out what "his" problem was, the hook was in "my" neck!...................Dick
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #75
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Just as I was transferring this "hot" part to the brick, the pliers let go and the hot piece of steel fell into my plastic bag lined garbage can. Luckily my basement floor is concrete. I dumped out the entire contents onto the floor to get to the steel piece. By this time, it was fully coated with everything it had touched, including some packing "popcorn" styrofoam, plastic bag, wood shavings, etc., etc.! Lesson learned. Don't handle a "hot" piece of steel with the "wrong" tool, especially if the part is irregularly shaped!.................Dick
This has been a black & blue thread. When I started your story I was expecting a burn ending. Equipment failure, wasted effort with hot sticky metal released the tension. Bad enough but not the worst case I was expecting.

Last edited by Benvenue; 01-15-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Benvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #76
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
I took a hook out of the side of my neck once in a fishing boat out on the river and my buddy almost fainted and fell out of the boat. Couldn't figure out what "his" problem was, the hook was in "my" neck!...................Dick
Fishhooks, ugh. Now that's black & blue.

Most of us can do acceptable first aid for cuts, scrapes & fishhooks for someone else if there isn't someone qualified around but, for myself, it's always a bit iffy if I'm the one doing the bleeding.

The last bad cut I had should have had stitches but I didn't feel like bleeding in the waiting room of the ER for six hours while they treated someone who stubbed their toe. So I wrapped it tight & went on with the work. I have a little skin-fold bump on my thumb to show for it.

Now it appears that some of these Rapid Response doctor offices can actually do something in the office other than passing out pills.

I took my wife to one these with a sinus infection that got bad over the weekend. She got good, quick service & there were a couple people with bad cuts getting stitched up & bandaged while I was waiting on her. Can't beat that.

Last edited by Benvenue; 01-15-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Benvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #77
greener
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
As a retired Air Force Medic, and spending several years as NCOIC of an AF Hospital Emergency Room in Michigan, (great fishing area) I had occasion to take many a fish hook out of people in my time. Calvin, you wouldn't have been embarrassed in my Emergency Room at all. During the local salmon run up the Ausable River, we used to keep "score" of how many hooks we extracted from people! When the barbs are already through the skin, the best way to extract the hook is to cut the back-end off and push the barbed end back through the skin to the outside. I used to shoot the area up with lidocaine to deaden the pain and then clean the wound and bandage if necessary. Follow that up with a Tetanus shot. I took a hook out of the side of my neck once in a fishing boat out on the river and my buddy almost fainted and fell out of the boat. Couldn't figure out what "his" problem was, the hook was in "my" neck!...................Dick
I somehow ended up with a 5lb northern, me and the dog all attached to the same jerkbait. Got the dog and fish off with only a minor amount of effort, but that left me with a hook embedded past the barb in my index finger. Since I wasn't interested in trailering the boat and driving me, the dog and the boat to the nearest immediate care center, I used a pocket knife to cut the hook out of my finger. Glad I keep really sharp knives. The downside is that the pike had been really active before I did the treble hooking. No bites after that. Real bummer.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #78
chris1234
Extraordinary Member

when i was young about 6 i could not understand why the police could not catch the criminals and when me and my dad were out and about i would say phone the police theres the criminals, this went on for about 2 years, one day i said quick dad phone the police theres the robbers, he stopped the car and said ok lets get this sorted.
I told him the police must be stupid if they could not catch the criminals in there vans, ok he said show me a van next time you see one and i will phone the police.
Driving on i said quick stop theres the criminals van, my dad said it reads shop fitters on the side of the van, oh i said i thought it said shop lifters.

quick learning in spelling since i was learning to read, i still laugh about it now when i see a shop fitters van with the sign on
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #79
Dr Dave

I've got one. I collect knives. One of the fun things I like to do when non-knife people ask me brilliant questions like, 'Is it sharp?' is to touch the knife to my forearm. They look at me with a puzzled look on their faces, and say, 'What?'. I say, 'Keep looking'. When they see the red I usually get a great reaction like, 'Oh man, you seriously need therapy, seriously dude'.

Well Cold Steel started putting out a line of fancy knives, and one, the Black Rhino apparently didn't sell that well, so they had it on closeout for $100 (normally $260). I was showing it to my sister and she asked, 'Is it sharp?'.

The demonstration is to touch your forearm with it, but for some reason, this time I slid it across my arm. It parted like the Red Sea, and you could see down into it, white things you're only supposed to see in surgery. She's a nurse, and said I hadn't cut any tendons because I could still move all my fingers, but it bled for a full 45 minutes; we were close to calling it a severed vein (arterys squirt, veins just don't stop bleeding). SuperGlue to the rescue, and now I have a pretty cool scar.

So, yes, I deliberately cut my own arm, deliberately trying to cut my own arm. Thank you.

Last edited by Dr Dave; 02-24-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #80
Bowhunter
Gunsmith

Dr Dave, Don't bother collecting "scalpels" or razor blades!.............Dick