Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Reloading

Reloading Place to discuss Reloading.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Case Lube

One of the reasons I dislike loading .223s is lubing cases. Over the years I've tried a lot of lubes and methods of lubing. It seems like none of them have been very quick or appealing. I used to use an ink pad and RCBS lube. Once in a while I would manage to get lube on the shoulder and end up with a dented case. Lately I've been putting a couple of drops of lube on my index finger and rubbing it on 4 or 5 cases. Works good but it is slow and messy. Right after I started loading .223s I got a stuck case. I've loaded .243 and .270 for years and never stuck a case. Sunday night I ordered some Hornady One Shot. It comes in a 5 oz aerosol can. I actually read and followed the instructions. First I removed the decapping stem from the sizing die, cleaned the inside thoroughly and then lightly sprayed it with One Shot. Then I put 50 cases neck up in a loading block. Held the can about 12" above the cases and at a 45 degree angle. This ensures that the case necks get lubed on the inside too. I sprayed the block of cases and let them dry for about 10 minutes. (Do this outside - it stinks!) After that I reassembled the die, put it in the Rockchucker press. Ten minutes later I had 50 cases resized, decapped and necks expanded. They run thru the die slicker than snot and you don't have to clean the stuff off the cases. It doesn't leave a sticky residue and won't harm powder or primers. I'm sold on this stuff. Am I the only one who has been reloading for years and never tried this stuff?
Old 03-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #2
kansas45

I use that sometimes, fast and easy. But my favorite case lube is Hornady Unique Case Lube. Just dip a finger in the tub, rub it on the case and stick the neck in some Motor Mica and load away. Trouble free loading. Wipes off of your fingers easily, preserves leather and waterproofs your boots.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
I use that sometimes, fast and easy. But my favorite case lube is Hornady Unique Case Lube. Just dip a finger in the tub, rub it on the case and stick the neck in some Motor Mica and load away. Trouble free loading. Wipes off of your fingers easily, preserves leather and waterproofs your boots.
Is it like Imperial Wax or something?
Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

I've never used it. Sounds interesting. I'm still using the ink pad and case lube from RCBS. I generally lube, run them through the resizes/decap die and then into the tumbler for a little bit.

I may try your new method rman.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
I've never used it. Sounds interesting. I'm still using the ink pad and case lube from RCBS. I generally lube, run them through the resizes/decap die and then into the tumbler for a little bit.

I may try your new method rman.
I sure like it so far Teddybear. I just got it yesterday and I've resized 250 cases with it. They're all tumbled, primer pockets cleaned and ready to go.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
kansas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Is it like Imperial Wax or something?
I think it is.

Will Rogers
Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
I sure like it so far Teddybear. I just got it yesterday and I've resized 250 cases with it. They're all tumbled, primer pockets cleaned and ready to go.
Up to 300 now and will probably work on some more today.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

I dug thru boxes, shooting bags, plastic and paper bags and scrounged up another 281 Federal cases. I've run 200 thru the vibrator and the other 81 are in there now. Good grief, I didn't know I had so much once-fired Federal stuff. These aren't going to be as easy as the other 300. Those had already been processed and reloaded twice. These need resized, primer pockets swaged, case mouths chamfered, etc. For some reason, all the .223 Federal brass I've shot have crimped in primers. It wasn't military stuff, but civilian ammo sold at Walmart, etc.

Last edited by rman; 03-18-2016 at 08:29 PM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
rman
Extraordinary Member

For a guy who hates to lube and resize .223 brass, I'm on a roll. I'm now up to 581 cases this week. The last 281 have now been cleaned, lubed, resized, chamfered and deburred. They still need primer pockets swaged and cleaned, oal checked and they will be ready.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:24 AM   #10
kansas45

Quote:
For a guy who hates to lube and resize .223 brass, I'm on a roll. I'm now up to 581 cases this week. The last 281 have now been cleaned, lubed, resized, chamfered and deburred. They still need primer pockets swaged and cleaned, oal checked and they will be ready.
This is good therapy, rman.

Will Rogers