Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default And for those that live in Washington state

Your recreational outdoor shooting ends tomorrow - for fire danger. As one who has seen a large scale fire blow up, as a result of sparks cause by bullets ie The Glacier Rim Fire here in my area, I can see why they did this.

https://www.krem.com/article/news/lo...source=twitter

Washington shooting ban begins Saturday

Target shooting and other gun use will be prohibited, but discharge of a firearm for legal hunting is still permitted, officials said.

Author: Staff
Published: 5:30 AM PDT August 3, 2018
Updated: 5:35 AM PDT August 3, 2018

OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is adding a temporary statewide restriction on firearm use beginning Saturday.

This restriction adds to fire prevention rules already in place on WDFW-managed lands.

"Weeks of dry weather have raised the threat of wildfire on both sides of the Cascades, and it's critical for all of us to avoid doing anything that could damage or destroy fish and wildlife habitat," said Cynthia Wilkerson, manager of the department's Lands Division.

The department's action follows Gov. Jay Inslee's proclamation earlier this week of a state of emergency for wildfire threats across the state.

PREVIOUS: Gov. Inslee issues state of emergency for wildfire threats, sends National Guard to Spokane

Target shooting and other gun use will be prohibited, but discharge of a firearm for legal hunting is still permitted, officials said.

In our area, the shooting ban adds to a comprehensive list. These activities are prohibited right now:

Fires or campfires, including those in fire rings. Personal camp stoves and lanterns fueled by propane, liquid petroleum, or liquid petroleum gas are allowed.

Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle.

The discharge of firearms for target-shooting or other purposes by anyone not engaged in lawful hunting.

Welding and operating chainsaws. Operating a torch with an open flame and all equipment powered by an internal combustion engine is prohibited.
Operating a motor vehicle away from developed roads. Parking is permitted within designated parking areas, including developed campgrounds and trailheads; and in areas without vegetation that are within 10 feet of roadways.

In western Washington, the WDFW shooting ban will be in effect until further notice at department-managed wildlife areas, boat launches and other water access sites.

All temporary restrictions will remain in effect until the risk of wildfire decreases, officials said.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
rman

Well... that kind of sucks, but I guess I can see some logic in it. I never started a fire by shooting outdoors, but I did once at the old indoor range. The guy never cleaned the place up and there was lots of unburned powder in front of the firing line. That was a scary experience.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
ZO6Vettever

Question

I never thought about sparks starting a wildfire from gunfire but if it can happen I'm all for the ban. All the other restrictions sound like good ways to keer a fire from starting in drought conditions.

Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags or badges.
US Army vet 1965-1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

gives a good meaning to FIRE in the Hole
Old 08-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortdraw View Post
gives a good meaning to FIRE in the Hole