Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default A Ruger, a Smith and an HK

Well I guess another range report is due. I went to the indoor range today for a little therapy. I took 2 9mm's with me for company. The first one I shot was the Ruger 1911 9mm LW Cmdr that I got awhile back. It shot pretty good, but it doesn't shoot to point of aim. It shoots high even at close range, and also a little bit left. The shooting left problem is easy enough to fix. I can drift the the rear sight to the right and fix it. Shooting high is not so easy. If I'm not thinking cross-eyed, I would need a taller front sight. Function wise, it was perfect - about what I would expect from a Ruger 1911.

The second gun is one I've never shot before. It's a Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm Compact. It's an interesting little gun. It's a typical M&P, but with a 4" barrel and a shortened butt. It's not as short as a Shield, but shorter than a regular M&P. A rough estimate would be 1/2" shorter than a full-sized and a 1/2" longer than a Shield. It weighs 27 oz. with an empty magazine. The magazines (2) hold 15 rounds. The trigger pull measures a consistent 5.5 pounds without stack, creep and very little over-travel. It's not a bad trigger at all - an improvement over the original M&P. I'm still not crazy about the hinged trigger. I would prefer a trigger with a safety blade like the Glock It looks like S&W took a long look at the Glock 19. The height, length and mag capacity is nearly identical to the 19. The slide is slightly thicker and a little heavier. The butt is slightly narrower. Probably the best (or worst) feature, depending on your point of view, is the grip texturing. A lot of gun manufactures tout their aggressive grip texture, but they don't hold a candle to the M&P. It feels like skateboard tape and absolutely locks your hand in place. It comes with 4 different sized grip inserts. I have small hands and the small is perfect for me. It has a 1911-like grip angle which makes it a natural pointer. I really like the grip and its texture. One of my complaints about the Shield is how much effort it takes to rack the slide. The Compact is much easier. It has the typical 3 dot sight system. The groove in the rear sight is wide enough to allow some light on each side of the front sight. That makes it easy to pick up a quick sight picture. The recoil is not an issue at all. It has a low bore axis is is slightly front end heavy. The slide and barrel are tightly fit and there is no "rattle" in this gun at all.

I only had time and ammo to fire 50 rounds through it today. It shoots really well and I had no malfuntions. It needs a lot more shooting to judge its reliabily. I guess you've figured out by now that I really like this pistol.

The group is 50 rounds @ 7 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_1121.jpg (97.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 102_1115.jpg (93.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by rman; 07-18-2018 at 12:34 PM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Dang rman that pistol shoots good.

I have fondled one and I really liked the feel of the grip angle. I feel like you do about the hinged trigger. But then again I'm not too fond of the dingus on the Glocks. I would like to shoot one some time before I made a decision to get one or not get one

Thanks for the report.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
Dang rman that pistol shoots good.

I have fondled one and I really liked the feel of the grip angle. I feel like you do about the hinged trigger. But then again I'm not too fond of the dingus on the Glocks. I would like to shoot one some time before I made a decision to get one or not get one

Thanks for the report.
Well gee Teddy! Just come on down to NE Kansas and you can give mine a spin. (Since that is probably impractical for you, you need to find an indoor range that rents pistols.)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
glockensig

Wish I had an indoor range around....with air conditioning! I took a couple to the range today with OAT about 89. That is probably nothing for some of you but TOO hot for me!!
That M&P sure looks sweet!! I was looking at a 2.0 longslide in .40 but didn't pull the trigger. Looking forward to updates!
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle
glockensig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockensig View Post
I took a couple to the range today with OAT about 89. That is probably nothing for some of you but TOO hot for me!!
Believe me, it's too hot for me also.

I wonder if the wife would let me build an addition on the house for an inside range. Hmmmmmm,
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockensig View Post
Wish I had an indoor range around....with air conditioning! I took a couple to the range today with OAT about 89. That is probably nothing for some of you but TOO hot for me!!
That M&P sure looks sweet!! I was looking at a 2.0 longslide in .40 but didn't pull the trigger. Looking forward to updates!
I went in the gun shop looking for a 2.0 longslide .40, but somehow ended up with the 9mm Compact. I'm not sorry though - just got rid of my last .40 awhile back to make my reloading chores a little easier. I will update this report as soon as I can get to the range again.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
panther
Extraordinary Member

Good report Rman. I've shot one of the 9mm M&P compacts in the first version. I thought it shot well, but I never got used to the grip it had. I haven't had a cahnce to shoot a 2.0. The indoor range here has rental guns, but I still haven't taken the plunge and become a member there yet.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

I need to post a correction to the range report. I studied the target that I fired with the Ruger SR 1911 and decided I spoke too soon about shooting high. Out of 50 rounds at 10 yards, all were in the 9 ring of a small BC-27 silhouette target. Only one of them was high, out of the 9 ring. I have trouble seeing the sights indoors, They did my eyes bass ackwards when they did my cataract surgery. My right (dominant) eye is for seeing at a distance and my left for up close. I always shoot with both eyes open. Today when I shot the Smith, I tried closing my right eye and only using my left. That seemed to work much better (for target shooting anyway). When I shot the Ruger I shot with both eyes open. I think that probably accounted for my higher than POA shots. It looks like maybe I just need to drift the rear sight to the right. (I said left above, but I corrected that too.) More shooting will tell the story. The Ruger weighs 29 oz with an empty magazine, just 2 more ounces than the Smith. The trigger sure has the Smith beat though.