Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Local Natural Disaster

Local Natural Disaster Discuss ways to prepare for a Local Natural Disaster. Storms, Fire, Ice and Ect.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
caneman

Default Sneaky prep presents

Do any of you have problems getting presents for kids and grandkids? After several years of wondering what to get folks I finally decided to try doing something I think is important and not worry about giving the right CD or blouse or whatever. My grandkids all being at least of driving age on up through out of college made things easier for me.

So after that long build-up what did I do? Still operating on a limited budget has made it a bit of a challenge for the last 3-4 years but it?s been fun for me buying for 6 grandkids and my two kids (Their parents).

Buying cheap has been a challenge and I?m thankful for Sportsmans Guide, Cheaper than Dirt, Going Gear and Walmart. I time things for 2 presents a year. Christmas and birthdays.

First purchase was 10 inexpensive rucksacks (Small size) on a special for $25

Next was 20 surplus German one liter canteens with cups, for $21

Cheap survival blankets (8 for $15)

$3 compasses from Going Gear

The big expense has been Mora knives from Sportsmans Guide at $8 each (They?re up to $11 now) They are exceptional for an inexpensive knife and being carbon steel make a good spark when striking a misch metal striker

One year for Christmas before I started this project I bought .22 Savage bolt actions from Walmart for the 3 boys. Boy was that expensive

Birthdays they get a brick of .22?s - Those are getting hard to find and expensive to buy

This Christmas I plan on Misch metal strikers from Going Gear (about $3 each) and make a handle for them. I may also get some of their small pill containers and put in a half dozen water purification tablets.

Still on the list are a Compass, length of paracord, homemade fire kisses, Altoids tin firstaid kit with Neosporin ? bandaids ? teabags ? sugarpacs ? 2 wetnaps and I'm sure I can continue for years

I haven?t filled a third of their rucksacks and have encouraged them to add a pair of socks, sleep pants for layering warmth if they need them.

I suppose it?s silly, but I think I?ll also save some plastic tubes from Lays potato chips (Like Pringles) and put in a partial roll of t/p and a few baby wipes in a sandwich bag.

Anyway, that?s something I?ve found I can do and walk with them out to their car and add them to their bag.(Makes sure they don?t throw them out too)
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
kansas45

Now, that's a good idea caneman. Especially in this unstable age we live in.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I don't wait for special occasions to give them to the Grand-kids, but everyday I have to drive right by the County Trash Dump going to the Ranch. I watch,and if I see anything interesting, I stop and look at it. Last week I got a small Girls pink Bicycle with training wheels. It was in good condition and three of the smallest Grand-kids can learn to ride it. I have picked up a lot of toys that was expensive when new, that still works, and take them to the Ranch for them to play with. I have also pick up several things that was useful for the Ranch. Got 20-2 1/2x10' pieces of PVC pipe, 4 Steel Posts, a good table with metal frame and legs. Guess I'm just cheap, but if I can find what I need used, I'll usually take it instead paying the price of new stuff. I do run the Internet for prices on some things that I need. I've been very fortunate in getting what I order, without any problems. I always check to be sure the source exists, and there is contact information.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
caneman

Good move Calvin. If you end up with good servicable merchandise that's generally a good thing. My S-I-L used to have a job doing service work and was able to do finders reclamation on several things. Sometimes folks moving away will at the last moment stack things at the curb.

He once got one of those small TORO snowblowers which started when he pulled the cord. Another time he got a whole A/C system for a home which had a new system installed. It took a $20 replacement part to make it work.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

You know caneman, I think you have the right idea. I guess we have all been guilty of trying to buy our kids and grandkids everything they want - things we couldn't have when we were growing up. It's time kids learned that money isn't that easy to come by, especially for those on a fixed income. It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your gifts and that is what REALLY counts.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Vetter
Banned

Cool

This economy has hit more than us on fixed incomes. My family has been doing a Christmas polyanna for a few years now. It works good. Shopping is much easier for one than ten and the savings is considerable. It's still Christmas and still family, what could be better!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote