Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Reloading

Reloading Place to discuss Reloading.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Anybody load 9mm?

I am trying to spend some time working up a good range load for 9mm. I didn't used to think that reloading 9s was sensible because factory fodder was so cheap. Well shoot - it ain't cheap any more and it's kind of hard to find sometimes. About a year ago I bought 1000 Remington 124 Gr JHP's from Midway. (Back when they were cheap )

I've tried a bunch of different loads. Problem is, I don't have the same gun any more that I worked them up in. I reloaded 3 batches that were accurate in another gun and gave them a try last night. Not great, but not bad.

W-W Cases
W-W WSP Primers
Rem 124 Gr JHP
C.O.L 1.10"

4.5 gr W231 I hoped this one would be accurate - I really like W231 for .45 range loads. It wasn't too good. Functioned good - worst group of the 3 loads.

7.4 gr AA#7 This one grouped better than the W231. Functioned good but still nothing to write home about.

8.0 gr AA#7 Reliable, good accuracy in 2 different guns. Not a good candidate for an every day range load though. It's pretty hot! Would make a fair-to-middlin defense load in a pinch.

Back to the drawing board for some more variations. Think I'll lighten up a bit on the last load - maybe 7.8 gr of AA#7 and give that a try. Also may back off the W231 and see if that improves accuracy.

I have HS-6, HS-7 and AA#5 I can play with also. (This is the stuff that makes reloading fun. ) I don't shoot lead bullets much because all my shooting is indoors - don't like the smoke. Anyone have a load that works good for them?

Last edited by rman; 01-07-2009 at 12:04 PM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
kansas45

I'm useing 5.0 grains of Power Pistol & 147gr jacketed round nose bullets. Works pretty good in the ol' P89 & P95. I like to knock over the steel plates.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

I think I need to add some variety to my powder selection. I'm not sure which is more fun - shooting or trying different loads!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
kansas45

You gotta' try different powders rman. Otherwise, how do you wich one is your favorite?

Will Rogers
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

I found a place yesterday that I didn't know existed. I saw it in the yellow pages. This old guy has one huge barn full of powder, shot, wads and blue rock. Another smaller barn full of primers, bullets and rimfire ammo. And the place is only about 10 miles from me. I bought some Power Pistol and Blue Dot powders and 2,000 CCI 300 large pistol primers. His prices are pretty good too. Loaded up a few 9mm with Power Pistol and 124 Gr. Rem JHPs. Got to get to the range Tuesday night to try some of this stuff out in the Springer. I've got 4.5 Gr of W231, 6.2 and 6.4 Gr of HS6, 7.8 and 8.0 Gr of AA7, 6.0 and 6.2 Gr of Power Pistol loaded up. Sure something out of this mess should shoot good.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
kansas45

Go get em' cowboy!

Will Rogers
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

I think I will jump on my or my , put on my ear protectors and head for the range tonight. Lots of loads to test.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
kansas45

another range night

Just jealous, rman!
Have a good time & let us know what works best with what.

Will Rogers
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
rman
Extraordinary Member

Kansas, my scooter was out of gas and my wheelchair had a flat tire. Actually, we had stuff to do at home last night and didn't make it out of there. Tonight we have even more stuff to do and tomorrow night there is an IDPA match. I'd like to try that, but am afraid I'd make a fool of myself. Looks like I will have to make it Friday night.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

I finally got to the range with my 9mm reloads. Results were not too bad! I used the Springer to shoot them in, because it has a better trigger than the SR9. This guns seems to like AA#7 the best. I tried 7.4, 7.8 and 8.0 grs and all three loads shot almost identical groups. In this gun, and with Win brass and Rem 124 gr JHP bullets, this powder is really consistent. The next best group was with 6.5 gr of AA#5. That was followed by 6.0 gr of Power Pistol and then 5.8 gr of the same powder. I've never used this powder before. I immediately noticed 2 things about it. It puts out a tremendous muzzle flash and seems to show the least signs of chamber pressure on the primers. None of my loads showed any signs of excessive pressure, but the Power Pistol loads showed the least flattening of primers. 6.2 gr of AA#5 didn't shoot too bad - I had one flyer out of the 10 shot group and makes it look worse than it was. The worst group was 4.5 gr of W231. That is my favorite powder in the .45 acp and hoped to be able to use it in 9mm also.

My eyes are pretty lousy any more so all my groups were shot from the bench at 10 yards. All groups were 10 rounds - they ranged from 1-1/8 to 1-3/4" with most having 9 of 10 shots in just over an inch. That is about the best I can hope for with these aging eyes. Mainly what I am looking for is consistency. So far it looks like AA#7 is what is going to work the best.

I loaded up 5 more test loads this morning and I'm headed to the range this afternoon.

Unique - 5.0 Gr
HS-6 - 6.5 Gr
HS-7 - 7.0 Gr
PP - 5.8 Gr (2nd try)
AA#7 - 7.6 Gr

Last edited by rman; 01-29-2009 at 10:31 AM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote