Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Reloading

Reloading Place to discuss Reloading.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default .380 auto

I decided to load up some .380s last night. I was pretty lucky on my first attempt at these a while back. I only tried 4 different loads and one of them shot pretty well. I've been using once-fired R-P cases left over from my Kel-Tec P3AT days. All of them have banged up case mouths from hitting the slide on ejection. They aren't too bad though. Almost all of them straighten out in the resizing die - I've only had to throw away a couple. One thing I noticed last night though, was that some of the cases had nice, tight primer pockets and some of them were pretty loose. Is this just inconsistent brass? I've never been crazy about Remington brass anyway. I always use Winchester if it is available.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
greener
Extraordinary Member

I've been reloading .380 lately. Didn't plan to, but the price and availability of .380 commercial made reloading a lot more attractive. Haven't seen any problems with primer pockets and I use cases from commercial I've purchased and range pickups. There are two primer systems for .380. One is the straight through like you see on most other calibers. Your decapping die works on these. The other is a 3-channel system that doesn't allow decapping. You just have to watch what you scavenge.

AARPU Cases
Montana Gold 95 gr JHP
4.2 gr Unique

(AARPU = almost any range pick up)
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

The ones you can reload use Boxer primers. The 3-hole cases use Berdan primers. I like your acronym for the brand of brass you use - (AARPU = almost any range pick up) I've heard Montana Gold are pretty good cast bullets, but have never tried them.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
greener
Extraordinary Member

Thanks for the names. Couldn't remember them when I was doing the response.

Folks more knowledgeable than I are particular about which brass and how many reloads. I don't load heavy enough to believe it is much of a concern.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Have any of you checked out Missouri Bullet Company. I think they have good prices. I'm going to try some.

missouribulletcompany.com
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
greener
Extraordinary Member

Prices look good.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

They do - I just noticed them in the Graf & Sons catalog yesterday. They're out of Mizzou also.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
greener
Extraordinary Member

I recently loaded some of the 95gr JHP's with 3.2 gr of Win 231. Shoots well and is a smidge softer than the 4.2 gr of Unique.

Bought some Frontier 100gr FMJ's yesterday. Loaded them with Win 231 3.2 gr. Will see how they work later.

I was looking for another box of the JHP's. My reloading guy at the gun show didn't have them or any lead bullets. All he had was a 1000 round box of the Frontier at a pretty good price. I may now have more .380 bullets than I'll shoot. I can't see going to the range and firing a couple hundred rounds out of a pocket .380.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

You could do that with a Bersa 380 I have shot a hundred rounds but I also have the wrap around rubber grips with the 9 round mag that gives a full grip on the gun.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Probably could do that with the SIG P238 also. It's pretty soft shooting for such a tiny little handgun. I can't imagine doing that with my old Kel-Tec P3AT though. It shot good, but it was a little nasty after about 25 rounds.