Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Oh no - not again!

Last Saturday I went to the range to shoot a few .40s. In walks a kid that I used to work with about 3 years ago. Of course we started talking about guns and I asked him what he was shooting. He pulled a couple out of his bag. One was a HIGHLY modified STI 1911. I guess they call them race guns. It had been compensated, the front of the slide was cut at an angle so that the bottom of the slide stuck out further in front than the top. Not sure what that was all about, but anyway it also had this big bracket that held some kind of a holographic sight. The range owner seemed to be familiar with that gun - said it was over 3 grand!

Then he pulled out a Glock G34 9mm. It had a Dawson adjustable rear sight, a Dawson red fiber optic front sight and had undergone a trigger job. He handed it to me along with a box of 9mm ammo and told me to go shoot it. I told him I hated Glocks. I've always hated Glocks! In my opinion they are butt-ugly and the grip shape/angle is all wrong. Aside from the plastic frame, these things even have plastic magazines. He said, "Try it anyway - you'll be surprised." I took his gun in and shot it. It was amazing accurate and easy to shoot - that red fiber optic front sight really worked well for me. The stupid thing even shot exactly to POA.

When I was through shooting it, the range owner handed me a Glock 26 and a box of Winchester white box and told me to try it. The 26 is a tiny, sub-compact 9mm. This one was completely unmodified. I figured this was going to be a disaster. Darned if that thing didn't shoot really well for me also. So now, after all my Glock bashing, I'm thinking I need one. I'm not big on psychiatrists, but I must need therapy! Can someone out there help me come to my senses?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Don't do it, Rman. Glocks are ugly. Just put a 1911 next to one when you get that urge for a Glock. Seeing a 1911 will bring you back to your senses.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Rman, you just smoked too long before quitting. Quitting all at once has really got you messed up. jk
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
greener
Extraordinary Member

The Glocks I've fired all did well. The supposedly lousy Glock trigger wasn't that bad. I was able to shoot them accurately. The pistols have a reputation for dependability. With all that going for them, I'm just not interested in Glocks. I guess my latest reason is that you are not supposed to be able to shoot lead bullets in Glocks, so I can't do my normal reloading. However, I didn't buy Glocks before I started reloading.

This probably means that I'll buy a Glock within the next 30 days.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
This probably means that I'll buy a Glock within the next 30 days.
Let me know how it turns out and then lie and tell me they are terrible! I need all the help I can get.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
kansas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Let me know how it turns out and then lie and tell me they are terrible! I need all the help I can get.
You wanna' know supthin' Tom? I've never been a Glock fan. BUT! Lately I've been thinkin' about getting one. I guess I can always sell the evil thing if I can't learn to get along with it. Maybe groupe therapy is in order!

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
tonyex

Send a message via Yahoo to tonyex

From what I have read I see in my Crystal Ball an rman heading to a bank vault.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyex View Post
From what I have read I see in my Crystal Ball an rman heading to a bank vault.
I'm afraid I'd have to have a gun in my hand if I headed for the bank vault. Right now church mice seem rich along side of me! Nope, I'm afraid if I do this evil deed, I will have to trade something.

Kansas - the thing that kind of intrigues me about these plastic wonderguns is what I saw my old co-worker do at the range. With just a pin punch, he completely, and I mean completely disassembled his Glock down to the very last piece in about 1 minute. It might have taken him 2 minutes to get it all back together. Many of the pieces can be replaced without hand fitting and parts and accessories are available everywhere. He showed me how you can smooth and lighten up the trigger with very minor polishing. It looked like something even I could do. I ordered a book yesterday on how to customize your Glock. Guess that means I'm committed! Now...what can I part with? Maybe the Taurus PT101? I'm trying to sell the S&W 296 - if that happens, I should be able to buy a couple of Blocks I mean Glocks.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Rman, I have a Clock for trade for the Taurus. I think you will like it. It is digital with an AM/FM radio and two alarms.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
panther
Extraordinary Member

I've resisted the Glock disease so far. Although I've owned a S&W Sigma, which is a blatant copy. They are reliable and accurate. It's that whole "take down thing" that gets me. It is alot of plastic, fitted to metal, very few complicated parts. So why are they so danged expensive? And, is a plastic frame going to be around through the long haul, like your old 1911 or S&W?
There is a new 4th generation Glock out now. It's pricier then ever, and just the same plastic, with a new contour to the grip. Reminds me too much of old Chevys. They put on a new grill, some new guages on the dash, and call it a redesigned model and raise the price.
panther is online now   Reply With Quote