Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Beekeeping

Beekeeping A Place for Discussing Beekeeping

Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
alisa

Default First Honey Crop

Wow...we had our first honey crop this year....removed the queen excluder...and well she got up in one of the supers and laid some brood..so we only had one super of honey...however we don't use any chemicals on our bees and they seem happy and are easy to handle. The good news is that we had sourwood mixed in and supposedly that is unusual...we had 26 full pints from one super...so we were happy. Going to build a top bar bee hive during Christmas holidays and get ready for spring....I will try and add pics to our facebook page...blessings Alisa and The Fairview Crew
alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Unfortunately I lost all mine last year, and was wanting to get a couple of Swarms last Spring but didn't get a chance. I did find a Tree at my Camper on our Ranch. I have a couple of hives ready and looking forward to getting a couple of swarms in the early spring. Glad yours is doing good, and I hope they winter well. I'm eating my old Honey, and it is still better than most in the Stores. I don't like the commercial operators process it. Good to hear from you.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

Nothing better than having your own honey. I can't have bees on the place because my wife and all her family are extremely allergic to stings. My brother-in-law in Loveland, Co started with a bee tree in the yard and now has 8 hives. They do a pretty brisk honey business and he always sends us a jar or two.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
alisa

Default Bee Update 2010

Hope all survived the winter well and are enjoying the summer. Well, I missed the first honey flow...osrt-of knew this...but our hive is very strong and put the first honey super on this weekend...since we only are using honey for our consumption the bees can have the first flow....found a supplier for a top bar bee hive...will probably go ahead and order one and get ready for next year....thanks for reminding about the early risers....have a blessed week...Alisa and The Fairview Crew
Acutually on Face Book now hope to see you there ...
alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Alisa, I lost mine last winter. Ordered a queen and started a new hive for my Garden this Spring. The won't make enough honey to take any this year, but they are pollinating my garden. I ordered a Weaver cross breed queen that is supposed to be resistant to the mites. Guess we'll see. Good you see you back on the Board.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote