Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default More crazy crap on ammo

Bullet ID Corp's Ammunition Serialization System Demo

The Bullet ID system etches ammunition in sequence from either pre-existing supplies or inline on manufacturing lines of new bullets operating at high speed.
J_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
ZO6Vettever

Question

I don't see a problem with that, anybody I would shoot would be outta self defense. The only problem I see with that is bad guys could buff the serial number off.

Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags or badges.

US Army vet 1965-1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
rman

I see a problem with it. Like guns, most of the ammo on the street and in the hands of thugs, is stolen along with the guns. It creates a nightmare of paperwork for dealers, adds to ammunition costs, creates more hassle at the gun shop for legitimate shooters and wouldn't serve any purpose that I can think of. If they recover a bullet from a homicide that has a serial number from a lot that you bought, you just say, "I had about 10 rounds left in the box and someone stole it out of my car. I didn't think it was worth reporting." Unless you recover my gun, you ain't got nuttin bro.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
J_B
Extraordinary Member

The problem is also this... ammo tracking. Just like in California now, you only get to buy one 50 round box of ammo a month.... where will it stop. Glad I reload, and don't have this insane policy here in Montana.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
glockensig

Even worse than that Rman! Law enforcement shoots on our range all times of the year. I pick up a lot of their brass (especially if they were shooting on a snowy day and now its uncovered ground) The chain of custody is now broken. I could sell the brass to someone who reloads...who then sells it to who know who.
If it is subsequently used in a crime, is that officer, who left brass on the range, suspended until it all gets sorted out?
I almost never go to an indoor range, but the one I did go to had a policy that you had to leave all casings lay! (Moneymaker for the range) Where does that brass end up?.... and do I get a knock on my door if multiple reloads later someone uses my casing in a firearm used in commission of a crime?
Bureaucratic nightmare if you ask me....at the waste of taxpayer dollars and law enforcement time and resources!
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle
glockensig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockensig View Post
Even worse than that Rman! Law enforcement shoots on our range all times of the year. I pick up a lot of their brass (especially if they were shooting on a snowy day and now its uncovered ground) The chain of custody is now broken. I could sell the brass to someone who reloads...who then sells it to who know who.
If it is subsequently used in a crime, is that officer, who left brass on the range, suspended until it all gets sorted out?
I almost never go to an indoor range, but the one I did go to had a policy that you had to leave all casings lay! (Moneymaker for the range) Where does that brass end up?.... and do I get a knock on my door if multiple reloads later someone uses my casing in a firearm used in commission of a crime?
Bureaucratic nightmare if you ask me....at the waste of taxpayer dollars and law enforcement time and resources!
Amen!
Old 01-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockensig View Post
Agree
Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
greener
Extraordinary Member

Just think, I can enter my reload data into the machine and bar code each round with that load. Then all I have to do is scan with my cell phone. Of course, it would have to x-out the previous code and you do seem to be limited to the number of reloads you can do. Maybe I'll wait until the machine erases the previous bar code and puts a new one on the casing. How much extra would the boys in the hood charge for that software tweak? I'm sure they can get the registry name as Efyewmon.

Don't these great ideas for bullet/casing/firing pin marking great ideas come out every couple of years?
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #9
rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
Just think, I can enter my reload data into the machine and bar code each round with that load. Then all I have to do is scan with my cell phone. Of course, it would have to x-out the previous code and you do seem to be limited to the number of reloads you can do. Maybe I'll wait until the machine erases the previous bar code and puts a new one on the casing. How much extra would the boys in the hood charge for that software tweak? I'm sure they can get the registry name as Efyewmon.

Don't these great ideas for bullet/casing/firing pin marking great ideas come out every couple of years?
Ever wonder who dreams up this ? BTW, I like your registry name.