Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Reloading

Reloading Place to discuss Reloading.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #341
kansas45

Tonights flavor of choice is 308, RL 15 and 175 gr SMK's.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #342
greener
Extraordinary Member

Yesterday it was .45 ACP. But the press was cranky. So I fixed the press.

Today was .45 ACP and the press was cranky, so I pulled the press apart and did a thorough cleaning of parts. Managed to get 150 rounds before I got tired of standing by the bench.

Tomorrow is .45 ACP, another 100 rounds of 200 gr LSWC and then I'm going to reload 230 gr FMJ with an anti-copper fouling powder I bought a while back.

First time in 15 months that I've reloaded .45 ACP. Obviously, I'm not shooting enough.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #343
rman
Extraordinary Member

I'm going to load some .357 Mag for the Rossi 92. I'll load my old standby: Norma brass, CCI 500s, Berrys Hard Cast 125 gr FP and 5.2 gr HP38. I may load a few at 4.6 and 4.9 to see how they do. 5.2 chronographs @ 1174 fps out of the 92. For Pistol Caliber Silhouette that's really more than I need. I'd prefer to be down around 900 to 1,000 fps if I can still get good accuracy. I might try a few with 4.0 gr of TiteGroup also.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:33 AM   #344
greener
Extraordinary Member

I got another 150 rounds of 45 acp done yesterday. Switching to .38/357. Maybe I ought to shoot some of this before it spoils.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #345
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
Maybe I ought to shoot some of this before it spoils.
You need a 17 year old grandson to help you use it up. Spoilage is not an issue.

I started loading .357s yesterday and my new Lee Auto Drum powder measure got cranky. I couldn't get it to drop any powder. When I took it apart to see what was wrong, I probably dumped an ounce of powder that was inside the measure. (Not the hopper) After I cleaned up that mess, I fooled with it for a couple of hours and never did get it to work right. It had a disconnector that had to be pressed each time you wanted to drop a charge. Lee gave instructions for removing the disconnector. I didn't like it and removed the thing using Lee's instructions. It worked fine on .40 S&W, but when I moved it to my .357 turret, it wouldn't drop a single flake. The case actuated arm was not moving the sector gear inside which turns the powder rotor. I put the disconnector back on and now it drops powder whether you press the button or not. Unfortunately it still isn't making a full stroke and only drops part of the charge. I gave up and will probably put the Auto Disk measure back on until I can find out what is wrong from Lee.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #346
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Been working on 223's. Not out by no means, just something to do when the sun goes down.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #347
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
You need a 17 year old grandson to help you use it up. Spoilage is not an issue.

I started loading .357s yesterday and my new Lee Auto Drum powder measure got cranky. I couldn't get it to drop any powder. When I took it apart to see what was wrong, I probably dumped an ounce of powder that was inside the measure. (Not the hopper) After I cleaned up that mess, I fooled with it for a couple of hours and never did get it to work right. It had a disconnector that had to be pressed each time you wanted to drop a charge. Lee gave instructions for removing the disconnector. I didn't like it and removed the thing using Lee's instructions. It worked fine on .40 S&W, but when I moved it to my .357 turret, it wouldn't drop a single flake. The case actuated arm was not moving the sector gear inside which turns the powder rotor. I put the disconnector back on and now it drops powder whether you press the button or not. Unfortunately it still isn't making a full stroke and only drops part of the charge. I gave up and will probably put the Auto Disk measure back on until I can find out what is wrong from Lee.
I got the Lee Auto Drum powder measure working again. Don't know what was wrong with it. I just kept tinkering and I guess I fixed it.

I bought some Trail Boss powder today and I'm going to load up a few .357 Magnums using several powder charges. I'll probably do some with the cast bullets I've been using and some with the Missouri Bullet Company bullets I bought yesterday.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:35 AM   #348
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
I got the Lee Auto Drum powder measure working again. Don't know what was wrong with it. I just kept tinkering and I guess I fixed it.

I bought some Trail Boss powder today and I'm going to load up a few .357 Magnums using several powder charges. I'll probably do some with the cast bullets I've been using and some with the Missouri Bullet Company bullets I bought yesterday.
When I went to load the Trail Boss yesterday, the powder measure wouldn't drop any powder again. Every time I dump one powder out of the measure and add another it quits working. Against my better judgement, I thoroughly read the instructions. I had removed the disconnector and my problems began shortly after that. There are 2 plastic parts related to the disconnector and I had only removed one of them. I removed the second piece, but it still didn't drop any powder. Then I noticed that you have to put the screw that held the first piece in a hole vacated by the second and Voila! All is well.

I hated the disconnector. It was designed to work with progressive presses. Lee recommends leaving it in place and operating it manually each time you drop a powder charge. It is supposed to prevent a double charge, but was just one more step to complete on a turret press. I felt I was more likely to get squib loads than to get double charges. The instructions explain how to remove it and replace it. Too bad I didn't read them right the first time. Now it makes a really nice little automagic powder measure.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #349
kansas45

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #350
rman
Extraordinary Member

I loaded a few rounds of .357s again today. I bought some Missouri Bullet 125 gr cast RNFP bullets Sunday. I loaded up some with Trail Boss to see how they would shoot in my Rossi 92. I've been shooting Berry's hard cast 125 gr bullets. They are truncated cone shaped and don't having a lot of bearing surface. The Berry's are really hard - Brinell 20. The Missouri's are cowboy action bullets and are much softer - Brinell 12. Don't know how they are going to work out, but it's worth a try. The cowboy bullets are shorter overall, but have a longer bearing surface because of their shape. My theory is that the longer bearing surface should be more accurate and the softer alloy should obturate, or expand to fill the bore better. The Trail Boss loads will probably be about 800 fps instead of the 1170 fps I've been shooting. They may be too much of a bunny fart load for 100m rams. I need to chronograph to see how close my guess is. To be continued....

(My theory is probably wrong - maybe some of you guys who know more than I do can straighten me out)