Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #681
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Aug 25, 1862 Three men from Elk City, Idaho were pursued by Fox and Bull to Gold Creek where Sheriff James Stuart agreed to help apprehend the horse thieves. One of the thieves, Bill Arnett was dealing Monte in a saloon while another, Ben Jermagin was standing inside. James Stuart reported the incident: "They stepped inside the door and ordered them to throw up their hands. Arnett who kept his Colt navy revolver lying in his lap ready for business, instantly grabbed it, but before he could raise it, Bull shot him through the breast with a heavy load of buckshot, killing him instantly. Jermagin ran into a corner of the room exclaiming, 'Don't shoot, don't shoot, I give up." He and Ben Spillman were taken into custody to stand trial the next day. When Arnett was buried the next day "he held the cards clenched so tightly in his left hand and his revolver in his right that, they could not be wrenched from his grasp so were buried with him."
Old 08-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #682
J_B
Extraordinary Member

On August 26, 1939, the first televised Major League baseball game is broadcast on station W2XBS, the station that was to become WNBC-TV.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #683
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default 1957

The Soviet Union announces that it has successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of being fired?into any part of the world. The announcement caused great concern in the United States, and started a national debate over the missile gap between America and Russia.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #684
Vetter
Banned

Question Like jumpin' out of the pot into the fire...

8/26/1990 - The 55 Americans at the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait left Baghdad by car and headed for the Turkish border.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #685
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

8/27/1859 - The first oil well was successfully drilled in the U.S. by Colonel Edwin L. Drake near Titusville, PA.

He was some sort of relative. My Grandpop got a small check every once in a while from Quaker State Oil.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #686
J_B
Extraordinary Member

August 27, 1883 The most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history occurs on Krakatoa (also called Krakatau), a small, uninhabited volcanic island located west of Sumatra in Indonesia, on August 27, 1883. Heard 3,000 miles away, the explosions threw five cubic miles of earth 50 miles into the air, created 120-foot tsunamis and killed 36,000 people.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #687
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default August 27, 1952

As the presidential election of 1952 begins to heat up, so do accusations and counteraccusations concerning communism in America. The "Red Scare"the widespread belief that international communism was operating in the United States came to dominate much of the debate between Democrats and Republicans.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #688
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default 1776

During the American Revolution, British forces under General William Howe defeat Patriot forces under General George Washington at the Battle of Brooklyn in New York.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #689
Vetter
Banned

Question

8/28/2014 - Google announced its Project Wing. The project was aimed at delivering products across a city using unmanned flying vehicles.

I seen on TV yesterday Amazon is using robots to deliver packages up to 100 pounds. How do they expect them to get thru the ghetto's?
Old 08-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #690
J_B
Extraordinary Member

On August 28, 1968, at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, thousands of Vietnam War protesters battle police in the streets, while the Democratic Party falls apart over an internal disagreement concerning its stance on Vietnam. Over the course of 24 hours, the predominant American line of thought on the Cold War with the Soviet Union was shattered.