Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #31
rman
Extraordinary Member

On this day in 1926, the two-man comedy series "Sam n Henry" debuts on Chicago?s WGN radio station. Two years later, after changing its name to "Amos n Andy," the show became one of the most popular radio programs in American history.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #32
Vetter
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
On this day in 1926, the two-man comedy series "Sam n Henry" debuts on Chicago?s WGN radio station. Two years later, after changing its name to "Amos n Andy," the show became one of the most popular radio programs in American history.
Rman, I never missed Amos and Andy, I loved that show. I didn't know what racism was then and wish I didn't now. I hope we can get by this bumpy road but it's gonna take a heap of put it all behind us.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #33
Vetter
Banned

Question

1/13/1998 - NBC agreed to pay almost $13 million for each episode of the TV show E.R. It was the highest amount ever paid for a TV show.

That's a heap of money now, what was it in 1998? Yikes!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #34
rman
Extraordinary Member

On this day in 1128, Pope Honorius II grants a papal sanction to the military order known as the Knights Templar, declaring it to be an army of God.

Led by the Frenchman Hughes de Payens, the Knights Templar organization was founded in 1118. Its self-imposed mission was to protect Christian pilgrims on their way to and from the Holy Land during the Crusades, the series of military expeditions aimed at defeating Muslims in Palestine. For a while, the Templars had only nine members, mostly due to their rigid rules. In addition to having noble birth, the knights were required to take strict vows of poverty, obedience and chastity. In 1127, new promotional efforts convinced many more noblemen to join the order, gradually increasing its size and influence.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #35
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default January 29, 1929

Nearly 50 years after the famous gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Wyatt Earp dies quietly in Los Angeles at the age of 80.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #36
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Jan 14, 1891 General Nelson Miles, commander of the U.S. Army troops in South Dakota, reports that the rebellious Sioux are finally returning to their reservation following the bloody massacre at Wounded Knee.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #37
rman
Extraordinary Member

It was the ultimate All-American romance: the tall, handsome hero of the country's national pastime captures the heart of the beautiful, glamorous Hollywood star. But the brief, volatile marriage of Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio; the couple wed on this day in 1954, barely got past the honeymoon before cracks began to show in its brilliant veneer.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #38
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default January 14, 1969

An explosion aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise kills 27 people in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on this day in 1969. A rocket accidentally detonated, destroying 15 planes and injuring more than 300 people.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #39
Vetter
Banned

Question

1/14/1954 - The Hudson Motor Car Company merged with Nash-Kelvinator. The new company was called the American Motors Corporation.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #40
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Default January 15, 1981

Hill Street Blues, television?s landmark cops-and-robbers drama, debuts on NBC. When the series first appeared, the police show had largely been given up for dead. Critics savaged stodgy and moralistic melodramas,and scoffed at lighter fare like Starsky and Hutch. Created by Steven Bochco and Michael Kozoll, Hill Street Blues invigorated television, paving the way for more realistic and gritty fare.

Hill Street Blues was set in an anonymous northern city (the exteriors were actually filmed in Chicago) and was the first real attempt by television to portray police officers as fallible human beings. Each episode began with the 7 a.m. roll call led by Sergeant Esterhaus. He closed the roll call with his trademark refrain, "Let?s be careful out there."