Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms

Firearms A place to Discuss different Firearms

Old 04-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default Soon to add a couple new rifles

The first one will be either a caplock or flintlock muzzleloader, I haven't decided yet if it will be a Kentucky long rifle or a Hawken in either 45 or 50 cal. I plan on being involved with the http://www.flatheadvalleymuzzleloaders.com/ as they have shoots on a monthly basis.

Second rifle - A buddy passed away just before Thanksgiving, and he left instructions that I was to receive his C Sharps in 45-70 - There are not any local clubs for BPCR - Black Powder Cartridge Rifle like you will find for such events as "The Quigley Match" https://www.quigleymatch.com/ but have a group that shoots weather permitting in Missoula which is 120 miles away, once a month.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Black powder is fun J_B! I never competed, but did hunt one season with a cap lock, and harvested a nice doe for the freezer. There is a club about 120 miles from me that shoots BPCR once a month. They also host Cowboy Silhouette matches and I've gone there 3 times for a match. Keep us posted on how this goes for you.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Rman, I'm more likely to just do the fun shoots.... since they are closer to home. Shooting the BPCR matches is actually more costly so having a caplock or flintlock will be more fun. I spoke with a gentleman today that shoots both, and he says the caplock is his favorite to shoot between the two
Old 04-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Have fun with the smoke poles JB.

I've got one I won in a raffle a couple years ago that I've never shot.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
Rman, I'm more likely to just do the fun shoots.... since they are closer to home. Shooting the BPCR matches is actually more costly so having a caplock or flintlock will be more fun. I spoke with a gentleman today that shoots both, and he says the caplock is his favorite to shoot between the two
The gentleman advised you right. Caplocks are a lot less finicky. (And a lot more reliable in the rain.)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Going to buy a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, and haven't decided yet between the 50 cal or the 54 cal, but it's more period correct than most other traditional muzzleloaders that are available today.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
J_B
Extraordinary Member

I forgot to post this photo here of my Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 Cal, and this one has a 1:60 barrel twist rate, so patched round balls will be what I use. I do have a box of Hornady Great Plains bullets in 425-gr, that came with my muzzleloader - for fun I'll be testing the accuracy with these. Although, I've seen the results of the round ball on two deer that where hit with the same round ball, and you can't argue with success like that.

Now my powder selection has been because of economics, that I found Allient Black Mz for only $9.99 a pound, which is 1/2 the price of real Goex FFg black powder. And then I call my Goex black powder supplier, and he tells me the price of Goex went up to $24.95 a pound

Reports of shooting groups, is better than expected, and clean up easier than expected.

After I purchased mine I did find a couple photos where buyers, found clumps in their pound cans. But this was quickly resolved by just breaking it down, in a plastic bag.

A friend also gave me one pound of Pyrodex Select RS, which I'm thankful for at today's prices @ $21.99 a pound.

Last edited by J_B; 07-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.
J_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

That's a great looking rifle J_B! I'm sure it will do the job. My old percussion rifle was .45 caliber and it was a one shot stopper.