Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Recommendations > Things you would Recommend for others.

Things you would Recommend for others. Things you have tried, and would recommend to others.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Savage Arms

A couple of years ago Savage brought out a cheap little bolt action rifle chambered for a new rim fire cartridge. This rifle was named the BMAG. The new cartridge is the .17 Winchester Super Magnum. Two loadings were available; 20 gr. bullet at 3,000 fps and a 25 gr bullet at 2,600 fps. These are not inflated figures either - they actually chronograph a little faster than advertised. My grandson, Tristan, thought it was just about it, so I bought the first one I saw at a gunshow. The price was reasonable, about $270.00. The next trick was finding ammo for it. That took about a year. We made a trip to the range and it turned out to be pretty disappointing. The rifle would fire, but would not extract or eject.

I called Savage and they sent me a shipping label for return to the factory. Savage had the gun for about 4 months and we had almost forgotten about it. Then the UPS man dropped off a long box. It contained a brand new BMAG and it included a pretty nice 3x9 Bushnell scope with mounts. (We didn't send it in with a scope.) A trip to the range was in order, and this time it worked perfectly.

Two weeks ago I read that Savage had another recall on the BMAG. Savage discovered it was possible to bump the safety off while closing the bolt. Apparently there were no instances of users having an accidental discharge, but in the interest of safety, they created a new bolt shroud and bolt handle to assure this wouldn't happen. I did my best to try to get ours to disengage the safety, but it wouldn't do it. I was going to forget about the recall until I noticed that the new bolt shroud was much nicer looking than the old "Jetson's syle" original. I went to Savage's web site and signed up for a kit to fix it. Seven days later I received it in the mail.

I decided to install it today. Not only did it include a new bolt handle, shroud, snap ring and screw, it also included a pair of snap ring pliers and 2 allen wrenches needed to do the job and written instructions. I guess it probably took 10 minutes total and it all works good. It sure looks better too.

I have to commend Savage for their customer service. I have several other Savage rifles and none of them have ever caused me any problems. When this one did they fixed the problem and even sent a better version of the original rifle. I can certainly recommend them as a company who makes economical, reliable and accurate rifles, and their customer service is great too.

Before

After

Last edited by rman; 10-27-2015 at 11:42 AM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
kansas45

Those Savage folks sure did take good care of you, rman. What great service!

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
NavyDoc76-80

Default Living right

You must be living right Rman to end up with a scope on top of the great service, way to go!
NavyDoc76-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Sometimes you just get lucky. Actually I think they felt bad because it took them so long to replace the rifle.