Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Knives

Knives This is a Place to Discuss Knives of all kinds.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
greener
Extraordinary Member

Default Electric Knife Sharpeners

I'm a sucker for gadgets, especially knife sharpeners. I'm now getting the urge for an electric sharpener.

My father-in-law ( a man with true grit) worked for Carborundum and I have a fine collection of carborundum stones for blades, including a razor hone, my trusty arkansas stone and a Smith's diamond sharpening system. It's obvious that I am sharpener poor and need to rectify that.

Been looking at the belt and disk type electric sharpeners. Suggestions and experiences would be most welcome.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Most of my knives are hard steel. I use Diamond Sharpeners on them. I got a big diamond hone that is a big rectangle with each side 2" wide and 6" long. It has 200, 300, 400, and 600 grit. It is my favorite. I have a few smaller ones, but I really like it.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Sorry. I have always used stones.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
kansas45

Like you, greener, I have a weak spot for gadgets. I have always had good luck sharpening my blades with stones, of which I have acquired many in my lifetime (both knives & stones).
Well, as luck would have it, the MATCO tool guy came by for his weekly visit & I'll be darned if he didn't have this handy-dandy electric knife sharpener on his truck. He gave a little demonstration by sharpening on of my techs knives & the thing works! It is made by Work Sharp www.worksharptools.com It is really a small belt sander that you plug into a wall socket. You can choose from a 20 or 25 degree angle for your knife or a 40 degree angle for scissor's. The little machine comes with some different grit belts & you can buy replacements.
I haven't used it yet, but I will give it a try soon.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Vetter
Banned

I use stones but Franne just got a new can opener with a sharpener. I just know I gotta give it a shot. Then hone it for a couple hours to get it back to where it was. Funny thing about sharpening is you get it good and try for a little more, oops. I pretty much have myself talked into, it's a knife, not a razor blade. If you do get it razor sharp it gets dull fast.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
greener
Extraordinary Member

Matco has one on Amazon at a pretty good price. Also looking at the 3-wheel grinder/polishing types.

Quote:
it's a knife, not a razor blade. If you do get it razor sharp it gets dull fast.
I used to carry a Buck Stockman (3 blade pocket knife). When I was the Hindquarters Battery commander, one of my privates complained that the First SGT was sending home to shave and wouldn't pay him for the morning drill. I told him his choices were to shave with the Buck and I'd intervene with the 1st SGT or to do as he was ordered. He shaved with the Buck and got a fair shave. The kid never disremembered to shave again.

Took a lot of work to get it there and keep it that sharp. I spend an hour or so each month with the Smith kit and the kitchen knives. Some of them are hard enough steel that they take a while. Automation seems like a better way to keep SWMBO from complaining about mashing tomatoes with a knife.

If I liked bad puns, I'd say the Buck was sharp enough to shave my privates, but since I'm not, I won't.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
caneman

I've never been a successful sharpener. I was readindg in the flexcut site for wookcarving where they said if you sharpen their knives with a stone of any kind you will dull them. Apparently, all of their finish sharpening is done with a leather belt and sharpening paste or jewelers rouge.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post
I've never been a successful sharpener. I was readindg in the flexcut site for wookcarving where they said if you sharpen their knives with a stone of any kind you will dull them. Apparently, all of their finish sharpening is done with a leather belt and sharpening paste or jewelers rouge.
That was the reason people that shaved with Straight Razors, used Leather Straps to sharpen them. My Uncle kept his Pocket Knife Razor Sharp most of the time. When he got it dull, he would put part of the edge on it with a stone, then go to a leather strap to get it razor sharp.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Stropping the knife deburrs the edge that happens while stoning. I will still use an old belt to strop my knives.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

I cant sharpen a knife worth a
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote