Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Cars

Cars Place for Car Discussions.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
rman
Extraordinary Member

Neat pictures Kansas! Guess I'm not the only one who tried the Afro. I had one for awhile when I was working undercover.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #22
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I never tried the Afro. Had a flattop for years though. Enjoyed the pictures Kansas. Thanks for posting them. My Son-in-law was a race car driver, and I think my Grandson has inherited the genes from him.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #23
Tracer

Well gents I was once upon a time in a 1966 V-12 Jaguar that a very good friend of mine purchased, after he got ome from Viet Nam. All I can say is the day we took it down I-55 South, those telephone posts began to look like a brown picket fence!!! I glanced over at the speedometer and the needle was approaching 170 mph...........I suddenly started telling the driver to sloooow the hell down........MERCY SAKES ALIVE!!!

I myself ran a drag car that was known as the "Green Machine" (25 coats of Caddy Firemist Green Laqcure) throughout the Mid - West and down South. It was a 1966 GTO, that had extensive work done to the car. New it turned 13.6 at the track but that figure soon disappeared in a big hurry. The last time I ran the Goat was in Bristol, Tenn. with the car turning 11.1 in the quarter and a 129-mph.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
French G.

Fastest street car was, believe it or not, a 1986 Subaru XT coupe. I looked at the speedo at the bottom of the Hampton bridge tunnel and it said 122. Was good for 110 or so flat ground. More capable was my '96 Ford T-bird, it was just starting to pull at 105 when the chip shut it down, never bothered to fix on the car to make it go.

Kansas, love the pics, you raced back in the days I remember when I was a little kid at the race track. My dad started playing with them when the 30x90 cage cars had recently replaced open cockpit sprints and soon thereafter standard sprint cars became the norm. I've had a slow sprint car which is better than many a fast street car. Need another one.
French G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #25
Mavrick

When I tell you what's in my garage right now, you can call me a liar...to my face...and I won't hit you!!!
I sometimes believe I'm just too lucky. It cost a LOT, not just in money.
It's a 1969 Fastback Mustang and weighs LESS than a VW Beetle...with ME in it. (I'm no lightweight!!)
It sits 3" off the ground. The engine is a 557" Ford Super CobraJet, injected...on alky. It has one "kit" of NO2. The motor, alone, will produce 750HP at the flywheel.
The rules require it to have a parachute, as it will go the 1/4-mile in 9.0@160MPH.
No...It's not driven on the street. As a matter of fact, it's not driven at all now, as the economy hit me so hard, I can only pay storage costs. Every now and then, I go out, pat 'er hood, and dream of yesterday.
Have fun, I did...
Gene
Mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #26
rman
Extraordinary Member

Oh for the good old days. Anymore I drive a little v-6 Chevy Impala and it ain't fast. But I still remember the days.... Hope the economy looks up soon Maverick, so you can get that thing out of the garage and on the track. (By the way, we don't call each other liars around here. We're from a generation that believes a man's word is as good, probably better than his money.)
Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #27
Mavrick

rman...I understand. You don't call a man anything without smilin'. lol
My point is that I can't blame a guy for being incredulous about what I said...and it's sometimes difficult to find the right words to express it.
I wouldn't hold it against a guy when he chose harsh-sounding terms. No offence would be taken...lol.
Have fun,
Gene
Mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #28
kansas45

I am glad we all enjoy a fast car new & then!
Good memories French. I watch those Rally races sometimes & am suprised at how those Suburus run & handle so well.
Gosh Maverick, I hope you are able to pull that Mustang out of the garage soon. It's not good on a high preformance machine to just set around gathering dust!

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
Benvenue
Extraordinary Member

1965 Corvette. Bought is as a reward on coming out of the Army a hundred years ago.

Bright red, rumbled & fussed just as I like it.

No AC, pipes ran under the seats. Hot, stuffy, drove like a truck but boy oh boy did I love that car. Had to beat the girls off with a stick.

I suppose it was fast once it got off the line but I was born old & couldn't afford good tires so I never put it to the test.

I remember hitting 60mpg in first gear once or twice but I think the clutch was slipping a bit.
Benvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #30
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Fastest car I have owned was a '77 Caddy Coupe DeVille. Can't tell you how fast as the speedo only went up to 85.