Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Utilities

Utilities Ways to cut Utility Costs.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Ways to cut Electricity Costs !

A few ways that I lowered my electric bill was: Replaced bulbs with energy saver bulbs. Don't leave power converters for phones, tools, and camera's plugged in when not in use. Turn off everything that you can when its not in use.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Mrs. Jefferson Davis

I put 5-mil plastic over the inside of my windows and used box tape to seal the plastic. I covered the bedroom windows with bubble wrap and taped that to the window frame. I put curtains in front of the inside of the doors to the outside. Keeping the curtains in front of the outside doors closed helps a good deal.

I keep the furnace set at 58-60 at nite and use electric radiators in the bedroom and kitchen. The kitchen is set at 55, just to keep the pipes from freezing. (I open the cupboard doors under the sink.)

I have semi-sheers over most windows. Most windows also have mini-blinds. A couple of windows have that expensive, sun-filtering film on them. Even the thin curtains help insulate.

The bedroom radiator is set at 60-62. I use an electric mattress pad to warm the bed.

My electric/gas bill averages $60-75 in the expensive months. If rates go up this winter, or this winter is colder, mine may be higher. (My house is ca. 700 square feet.)

I wear several layers of clothes, and a fleece jacket, and house-shoes with sturdy soles which are lined with sheepskin.

I put reducers in several light sockets and use nightlight bulbs in them. It's enough not to trip. Otherwise I use 15, 25, and 40 watt bulbs. The flickering and bizarre color spectrum of flourescents is too unhealthy for me to put up with them. I don't use much electric light. I sit in the kitchen where there is a lot of light in the daytime to do most of my reading.

I use solar lights outside.
Mrs. Jefferson Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

A real eye opener for me was buying a kilo watt meter. I plugged different things into it to see what percentages of my total consumption they were. Over 75 % of my bill dealt with just two things, Heating and Cooling. In this area you can really cut your Bills by Conservation.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Mrs. Jefferson Davis

Calvin, would you be willing to spell out your conservation plan?

I now keep my thermostat at 62-64 in the day and on 50 at nite. I use an electric radiator in the room I'm in, and an electric mattress pad on my bed. I wear lots of layers, including a wool scarf and sturdy, sheepskin-lined house shoes. So far, so good.

Putting more insulation in the house, or replacing windows, would help, but are too much for the budget. I have curtains in front of the doors which helps a good bit.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I had Blown insulation in the attic that had been there a long time and settled where you could easily see the ceiling joists. I got roll insulation bats that fit between the joists and laid them on top of the blown insulation. Eliminated one Deep Freeze by combining every thing into one. Since Sharon and I work of the day, we don't use Air Conditioning. In the Summer we stay in our Camper with the windows open, which is comfortable sleeping after the sun goes down. Use low energy fans to circulate the air. Turn the hot water heater way down in the Summer and take cool showers.Wash clothes in cold water. Dry on a line when possible. Make Coffee and Tea and keep it in a thermos instead of keeping a pot hot all the time. Sleep in a cold house with lots of cover to keep warm at night. Always look for ways to keep from using your energy to keep from heating or cooling anything.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Mrs. Jefferson Davis

Calvin, thanks for the details. I noticed quite a savings when I started using only cold water for the washing machine. And I average four loads per month! I have a gas water heater, and the gas savings this winter will be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
kansas45

Are you telling me that I don't have to use hot water to wash clothes in?
My ex wife never told me that.
I'll bet she's still laughing!
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Mrs. Jefferson Davis

Kansas, some people would never think of using anything but hot water for laundry.

I've found that cold water works just fine.

And I hang my laundry outside, or on racks inside.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
kansas45

Hmmmmmmmm...................(deep in thought)
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
Mrs. Jefferson Davis

That's a lot of thinking.