Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Hunting

Hunting Place to discuss Hunting.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default Handgun Hunting

Well this will be a year that I do alot of handgun hunting instead of bowhunting since my shoulder injury has really prevented me from practicing proper for bowhunting... maybe next year as it depends on recovery.

But this year I am using my Ruger SBH 4 5/8ths .44 Mag as shown here with 290-gr SWC.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I use a scoped Thompson-Center .44 Mag for hunting. Only one shot, but I also hunt with a Single-Shot 30-06 Rifle. The single shot makes a better shooter out of me.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

I had shoulder surgery and it took me about three years to pull back 63 pounds on a bow. I also could not hold a rifle so I bought a Super Red Hawk in 480 Ruger. Last year was the first time I had a deer in range. At thirty yards or so I got Buck fever, even though it was a doe, and pulled the shot high. Still, it was quite exciting and my brother and I had already scored bucks with our rifles.
Bozack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I don't hunt big game with it, but my CCW .45ACP has eleminated several Armadillo's and Poisoneous snakes around my place.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

I keep threatening to deer hunt with the handgun. I have several good candidates to use. My biggest problem is that I lost my best friend and hunting buddy a couple of years ago and it is hard to go it alone.

How did you hurt your shoulder j_b? Guess I was away from the Ruger Forum too long and missed out on the story.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
J_B
Extraordinary Member

rman

I was working for Bresnan Communications as a Tech doing a disconnect on a overhead. I extended the 70 pound lineman ladder trying to put my hooks over a strand line and the ladder slipped with my hand wrapped around the rope. It pulled me and flung me like a rag doll. I landed on my left shoulder all 225 pounds of me, and it felt like I dislocated, but at the time they said it was just a bad bruse. Well that was back January 30th.....

My physical therapist is not happy that PT is not working, but I have another appointment with the surgon on Friday morn. He I think wants to inject cortizone before the next option which is surgery.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

Think maybe I might think about doing some handgun hunting some time. We had a archery shoot this last weekend and I sold one of my bows, so I am trying to decide if I am going to build myself a recurve or a longbow. Have been a longbow shooter and don't have a recurve so I suppose I should build one. Built a static tip for my buddy and he just loves it so maybe this should be my next project.

JB, good luck on the shoulder and remember the cortisone is usually only a temp. fix. Sometimes surgery is the best way to go so don't wait to long.

Chort
Old 08-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Chortdraw

I understand the short term fix, and I have already spoken my .02 cents about not wanting the stuff injected into me as there are plenty of warnings on the stuff.

I can draw a bow, I just can't spend the time that is really needed to consistantly practice with my bow, and carry my bow afield. I just don't feel like the pain that it affords me after.

With handgun hunting, your firearm is holstered until you need it and then reholstered after your done. This is very appealing and so much easier to carry affield.

I will use my Ruger SBH 4 5/8ths .44 Mag keeping my shots inside of 40 yards just like when I was bowhunting.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Chortdraw
Extraordinary Member

I like the thought of just having a handgun for a hunting tool. It is sort of like the next step up from the bow. The bow will teach you to hunt the close range which is good practice for the handgun. Your .44 should make them swap ends.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Well I just swapped out my wooden grips for the Hogue rubber grips for hunting with. I like the fact that in wet, damp, cold and snow these are easier to hold onto. I don't like my small finger hanging over the bottom of the grip frame when shooting heavy thumping loads.

Another improvement is my front sight, as I found some great paint in bright red orange as I could not find bright green. But after taping off the front sight to just expose the sighting ridge of the front sight, I added 3 coats of paint and one of clear coat. I can not believe the differance it makes in seeing the front sight blade thru the rear sight.

I was looking at investing in a Hi-Vis sight and a rear One Ragged Hole sight, but I think I will try this combination first to see just how well it does.

My carry load is a 305-gr WFN GC bullet from www.rimrockbullets.net as they are my sponsor of my cast bullets for my .44 Magnum and my 45-70 Guide Gun that carries the 430-gr WFN GC bullet. These bullets BTW are the same ones that Tim Sundles loads for his ammo he sells at Buffalo Bore Ammunition www.buffalobore.com

You might say I am loaded for what ever I run into in the woods no matter what I am hunting, as here in NW Montana we can run into some really BIG bears while just hunting for deer.