Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up Cool shortcuts for computers...

Don't know if the linky will work but it's got some very easy shortcuts for the computer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tedtal...6pLid%3D390144
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
kansas45

Ted shows some great shortcuts in the video. Most of wich I will forget to try.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Making Computers easier to use.

Microsoft says that they made Windows 8 more user Friendly. I bought a new Toshiba Satellite Laptop that had it on it. First off, its not installed, so you have to connect to the Internet, to install it. Then it takes about 2 days for all the upgrades up to 8.1. Then it has to have Adobe installed to read some of their documentation on how to use it. Adobe had a virus attached to the download that their Norton didn't catch, that screwed everything on it up. So after 3 days it was back to their original download, and starting all over. If they are making the Windows more user friendly, for new computer operators, I don't know where its at. I learned to use old Dos operating system, a lot easier, than the new Windows Systems.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up Windows 7

Calvin, about 4 months ago I replaced myWindows XP because Microsoft was no longer going to support it. I got Windows 7 instead of 8. Seemed like nobody liked 8. 7 is just fine.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Right now I have computers with xp, Windows Vista, 7 and 8. I HATE windows 8.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
greener
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
Microsoft says that they made Windows 8 more user Friendly. I bought a new Toshiba Satellite Laptop that had it on it. First off, its not installed, so you have to connect to the Internet, to install it. Then it takes about 2 days for all the upgrades up to 8.1. Then it has to have Adobe installed to read some of their documentation on how to use it. Adobe had a virus attached to the download that their Norton didn't catch, that screwed everything on it up. So after 3 days it was back to their original download, and starting all over. If they are making the Windows more user friendly, for new computer operators, I don't know where its at. I learned to use old Dos operating system, a lot easier, than the new Windows Systems.
I didn't have the fun you had. I bought an ASUS laptop that had W8 installed, actually installed. A user interface designed for a touch screen tablet on a computer that doesn't have a touchscreen doesn't make a lot of sense. I've gotten used to W8 but don't like it. It does make finding installed programs easier than W7.

The ASUS laptop touch pad is so sensitive that I can highlight and delete everything I've typed in a nanosecond. Sometimes I can undo what I didn't intentionally do. So, I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse. I sit the laptop on a table next to my recliner and use the mouse and keypad. Sunday I bought a mouse pad for the optical mouse. Seems that if I run the mouse on the arm of the chair, the laser opening fills with fiber and the mouse won't work. The mouse pad stays on the chair arm better than a folded newspaper.

So, I have the latest and greatest Microsoft operating system that I run almost exclusively in desktop mode, just like the older versions. I've had to attach a keyboard and mouse instead of using the ones on the laptop and I'm using a mouse pad for an optical mouse. I'm closer to the thrilling days of the '90's. Ain't technology wonderful?
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

It looks like I'm going to be running 3 operating systems, on my laptop, to do what I want to do, with it. I'm going to have to put XP on it, to run the older accounting programs, and some other programs that I have. I'll put Linux 13.1 on it to surf the net, where I won't get loaded with viruses.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #8
greener
Extraordinary Member

does linux get rid of the pop ups? Seems like even with popup blockers, I'm knee deep in ads, especially from newspaper sites.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
Vetter
Banned

Angry

I maxed out the pop up blocker and have to turn it off to load half the stuff. Arrrggggg!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I use Firefox in Linux, and don't have any trouble with pop-ups. One thing that helps in Windows, is to use Superantispyware, or some spybot remover, to keep as many spybots off your harddrive as possible. They are what keeps the pop-ups coming.