Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Utilities

Utilities Ways to cut Utility Costs.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
panther
Extraordinary Member

Default LED light bulbs

I stock lights for the college I work at and have heard about the technology behind LED lights being used for home lighting.
Well, I was in a Walmart recently and saw that there are lights being sold now that are screw in bulbs, but with LED circuits in them. One I saw advertised that it was as bright as a 70 watt bulb, but only used 2 watts. That is a significant savings, but one bulb was almost $6! The price will have to drop alot more before people start to get comfortable with them, but if they can deliver the goods, they could save alot on the electric bill.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
they could save alot on the electric bill.
They'll just raise the rates.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

They make a significant difference where you have a limited supply of Electricity as I have with my Solar setup at my Camper.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Might be worth looking into Panther - especially if you saw my electric bills for the summer. So far I've had 3 bills that were waaay over $200.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Vetter
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Might be worth looking into Panther - especially if you saw my electric bills for the summer. So far I've had 3 bills that were waaay over $200.

Wanna trade bills? My Key West bill runs about $300. (winter) to $375.(summer) and that's only using the A/C 3 weeks. The lake house has been $100.- $115. for 8 days. I have the fluorescent bulbs in everything. Even decorative ones in ceiling fan lights and all very low wattage. Electric water heater set on 105. I agree Panther, the LED's are too pricey now but they'll come down. My bill here is high because my A/C is 12 years old and not very efficient. I can't complain because it was totally under sea water 6 years ago. Insurance company gave me $4500. to replace it and I got it going for $52. in parts. Still going strong (knock on wood). Lake house has R-19 insulation in the attic. I have got estimates but all seem like shady guys. Hopefully this trip I can get someone to boost me up to R-45 or R-60. Now the A/C does not shut off and it's also a heat pump so winter time will cost more to heat also. The Vetter's ain't used to heaters. We have no heat in the Key West house. The coldest is Jan. mean temp 65. Lake house Jan. is 56. We are gonna' freeze, send blankets, electric blankets!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I stock lights for the college I work at and have heard about the technology behind LED lights being used for home lighting.
Well, I was in a Walmart recently and saw that there are lights being sold now that are screw in bulbs, but with LED circuits in them. One I saw advertised that it was as bright as a 70 watt bulb, but only used 2 watts. That is a significant savings, but one bulb was almost $6! The price will have to drop alot more before people start to get comfortable with them, but if they can deliver the goods, they could save alot on the electric bill.
I checked out the ones that they had in our local Wal-mart here. The lumen was not near as high as the Florescent Bulbs. A 23 watt Florescent was 1200 lumen and a 2 watt led was 70 lumen.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
panther
Extraordinary Member

That is quite a difference Calvin. I didn't buy any of them, and I didn't really compare all the details, I was just surprised to see them. We had a librarian ask us about them almost two years ago after she had read an article about them. At that time, even our wholesale suppliers didn't have any. So, the technology seems to have progressed quickly.
It'll be interesting to see where it goes. We use lots of compact flourescent bulbs on campus, but still have disposal concerns because any flourescent bulb has mercury in it. If they can make them comparable to standard bulbs, cheaper to buy, and reliable, they'll be the common light of the future.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

They sure work good in flashlights, so there's no reason for them not to for other purposes.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
caneman

[SIZE="3"]I've been curious about the LED's and whether a table model operating off a six volt lantern battery could be fabricated for emergency area lighting. I don't know how many LED's it would take to approximate a 75 watt bulb but it would be a great benefit at times.

You could even step it up a notch to have one working from a lawnmower or motorcycle battery.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
caneman

Lehmans has LED/12 volt bulbs on sale. I think I'm going to try a couple. They even have some outdoors rated bulbs of which one seems to be a floodlight.
caneman is offline   Reply With Quote