Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #2141
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

Good morning gang! Mug of coffee and a buffet plate please, it smells great in here. Pretty nice of Sharon making lunch for the coworkers. Going to be a nice day, high 88, 0% chance of rain and low humidity. Going to put all the ceiling fans on high and will give in and put the A/C on. You're going to have a new shed by the time y'all are done. You got a good cool day for it. Lakefront property is cheap here Greener, actually all property is cheap here. There's a lot of lakes in Florida. Our County, Volusia has 163 lakes and 47 miles of ocean beaches. Hope your window guy gets them fixed right for you. Well Molly and Cinnamon that was a great buffet especially the bloody Mary's, thanks. Everybody have a great day!

Last edited by Vetter; 10-29-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #2142
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Good afternoon gang. It?s a nice day around here. Nice and sunny, not a cloud in the sky and little wind. I didn?t get up till 8 and I still feel crappy. I have to go in in the morning and get another round of shots in my back and left knee. You may or may not hear from me tomorrow. I?m ready for them. I need to get the yard cleaned up by I haven?t felt like it. I?d like to take a ride but I don?t feel like that either. I guess you can say I don?t give a crap about anything.

Later.

Life is good.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #2143
Vetter
Banned

Wink

Feel better Teddybear!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:45 PM   #2144
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good evening. Tall, cold Bud Light please. I'm plum worn slick. I screwed the 12 braces to the shed and the floor, caulked around the shed walls and floor, cut a new shelf for the West wall and put it up. I aired up the tires on my little trailer I pull behind the mower. The old sheets of OSB wouldn't fit on my trailer so I had to wrangle them up on the saw horses and cut them in 3 pieces. The stuff was full of old nails and screws and those had to be removed. I ended up with 15 pieces of OSB to be burned. I hauled one load to the burn pile and set the pile on fire. I went back for another load, removed nails and screws and hauled another load to the pile. By that time the first load was about half burned up. Threw this load on the fire and returned for the 3rd load. Hauled them and threw them on the pile. I put my chainsaws on the new shelf, a little metal cabinet in one corner, the old push mower in another corner, my pull behind sprayer in the third corner and the trailer in the 4th. Put down the ramps and drove the John Deere in the center. Put some other misc. junk away and I still have room to spare. I spent the rest of the afternoon turning the fire so all the stuff would burn up. Right now all I have is a small pile of coals. I'm going to check it again in a little bit and call it a night.

Teddy I sure hope the shots work and you get to feeling better.

Congrats on your 3,000th post panther!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #2145
Vetter
Banned

Talking

Well, not much to say except goodnight. Rman, you're making good progress with the shed rebuild and I hope you and Sharon are feeling OK. My big job for today was fix the mailbox flag so it stayed up. I got that done but I hardly made it back to the house after fixing it. I had the mail in votes in the box but if the flag goes down, no pickup. Anyway I think tomorrow is a day off for me. Goodnight and sleep tight!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:41 AM   #2146
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good morning. I made coffee and brought in some cinnamon rolls this morning. Somehow I missed out on dowop's Moon Pies the the other day.

I'm going to be lazy today. It is supposed to drizzle later this morning - no good for working outside. I need to find about a 2" wide aluminum strip to put around the base of the shed to prevent water from getting to the edge of the new plywood floor. Guess I'll make a trip to Sutherland's and see what I can find. I really like Sutherland's. We have Lowe's, Home Depot and Menard's stores, but they are all about 6 blocks apart and are 10 miles farther from my home. It's also much easier to find help in Sutherland's.

Hope your flag stays up Vetter.

Greener it sounds like you had a good visit with friends. Missed football? Yikes!

Take it easy today Teddybear and hopefully you'll feel better.

Panther I know what you mean about about pay raises vs insurance raises. It seemed like the 2 always coincided when I worked for the State of Kansas. Next year I'm supposed to get a Social Security raise. What do you want to bet that Medicare will also get a nice raise?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #2147
panther
Extraordinary Member

Good morning folks. The girls are here and drinking Rman's coffee while they set up breakfast. They said it was pretty good coffee.
It's pretty windy here today. Rain in the forecast for this afternoon and some tomorrow.
Rman, we have Lowe's, Home Depot and Sutherland's within about a mile of each other here. Sutherland's was always a favorite when I lived in a smaller town east of here. They have a couple stores in smaller areas where the others don't have stores. This one doesn't have quite as big a hardware section, but lots of the big stuff like lumber, flooring, roofing, lawn tractors, etc. It also has a big furniture section. Couches, chairs, beds, dressers, and lawn furniture. Some of it pretty pricey too.
No big plans for today, just do what I'm told, as usual.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #2148
greener
Extraordinary Member

Good morning. Coffee going down and getting ready to slave away all day smoking a Boston butt, or Pam will smoke a greener butt.

rman, sounds like you had a great day getting the shed fixed. I'm plumb wore out reading your description.

My window fixer called in the lame excuse of passing a kidney stone. Not too sure when we get the window fixed.

Just looked at my 401k. Seems like only a couple weeks ago I was riding high and rich. Glad I don't need the money.

Woke up this morning about 5 and got into one of those half doze dreams. I was back in my chem lab in 1971 trying to get the x-ray diffractometer started. And kept looking for my cell phone and laptop to get things working. This instrument was the leading edge world-wide and we had the second one made. Shot x-rays into a crystal that was cut to 0.1mmx0.1mmx0.1mm and moved it around so the detector was measuring reflections over the surface of a sphere. Controlled by a teletype, paper tape and 8-track cassette. Collected data on 10" reel to reel. If you lost the bootstrap you spent 2-3 hours putting in the 240 sets of instructions on 40 toggle switches. I kept trying to connect the teletype to dialup broadband internet and download the reel-to-reel to my cellphone app.

I started my graduate work on a leading edge instrument. The only technician who could fix it was in Palo Alto and the instrument was in Raleigh. Everything was converted to cards and plugged into an IBM 360. 15 years later the teletype was replaced and all computing was done on a special PC. The company that built the instrument is long gone and you can do the work on any cheap pc. My cell phone has more computing power than I had combined in 4 years of grad school.

Ain't technology wunnerful.

Y'all have a great day.

Last edited by Vetter; 10-30-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #2149
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Good afternoon gang! Molly, can I get a tuna on toast and a cold Bud 55? Hope Teddybear and rman are feeling batter. Thanks. Rman, I'm not fixin' to do much today. My legs hurt from walking to the mailbox and standing there about 10 minutes. The mail flag fix worked and our voter's ballots are on the way to the Trump train! It's a beautiful day out here, right now, % chance of rain, , a mild 82 F. I could work on my canes or I could visit the ERCS and watch some more TV. We don't have a Sutherland's or Menard's in Florida.
Panther said, "No big plans for today, just do what I'm told, as usual." Greener said, "getting ready to slave away all day smoking a Boston butt, or Pam will smoke a greener butt." I'm glad Wifey doesn't read this to find out how other wive's rule the roost. Truth be told I do as told for the most part too. That's the secret to a long happy wife, happy life. "Ain't technology wunnerful," when we compare today's capabilities to what it took to do your job in the past I guess it is pretty "wunnerful." Well thanks Molly and everybody have a great day.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #2150
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good evening. As promised, I did next to nothing. I looked online for the metal strip and Sutherland's didn't have what I wanted. Looked at Home Depot's website and they did. I stopped and looked, but didn't really know where to look. I finally flagged down and guy and he said they didn't carry anything like that. I told him I saw them on the web. He said our store doesn't carry them. I said that I chose Topeka as my store and it showed you have 3 in stock. He said they probably didn't and it wasn't worth searching the whole store, because he'd never seen them. I told him his customer service was lousy and people like him are the reason I usually go to Sutherland's. He started to say something, thought the better of it, and walked off.

Greener I remember some of that fancy technology from the 60"s. I worked for the army and their main means of communication was teletype messages, encrypted and transmitted over land lines. When I first started worked for the State of Kansas, they had a state of the art mainframe computer. They had a whopping 4 terabytes of total storage. When I retired, our agency had a storage area network with over 100 terabytes of storage. It was all stored in 2 server racks. The 4 tb attached to the mainframe took up an entire room - a big one at that.

Vetter I'm glad your flag stayed up.