Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
OK guys - play nice! Didn't you guys make a New Years resolution to be kinder and gentler? (Oh no, that was me wasn't it?)
I did too rman but you know Kansas better than me. He can be a !
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
sc928porsche

Angry

My name is George, not les baer. Thanks for the offer, but I get miffed when I cant put them in one hole at 200 yds with my engraved (engraving improves accuracy if you didnt know), magnaported, gold inlayed, nickel plated, mastadon ivory handled, Colt 1911.
sc928porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Don't know why it makes some people so mad when a cheap gun will shoot as good as their high priced ones. Guess its because they think its just not supposed to.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
rman
Extraordinary Member

There are lots of gun snobs in the world. It seems if your gun didn't cost at least 2 grand, it's a useless piece of that belongs in the I have several 1911s that cost twice as much as my Taurus PT1911 and I don't find that any of them shoot better. The guys at the range where I shoot are really into Kimbers and Wilson Combat 1911s. One guy I know has a $2,500 Wilson that keeps peening the slide where the slide release contacts it. He's sent it back twice and they have replaced the slide. (It's still doing it, by the way.) I'd get it replaced one more time and sell it to the first guy I could find with a healthy roll of bills in his pocket. I have a Kimber and I like my cheapy better. If Taurus would just come out with other calibers and sizes, i.e.; Commander-sized or Officer's Model-sized, in 40 S&W and 9mm, that is all I would own.

Sorry your sooper dooper deluxe tack-driving heavily engraved pistola doesn't always work out for ya sc928porsche! I kind of feel the same way when my $500 Taurus doesn't put em all in the same hole. Surely it must be my gun's fault.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #15
greener
Extraordinary Member

I really love some of the gun snobs. I've had a few to remind me constantly what theirs cost. One was doing that, and dissing my PT1911 while shooting 8" groups at 10 yards with his Kimber. My Taurus was doing 2" at 15 yards.

I bought the Taurus on price, figuring I'd find a deal on a good gun later. Later hasn't happened yet. When I'm doing my part, the crappy ole Taurus does tolerably well.

Yesterday my son and I were doing the on-ragged-hole bit at short range with my Taurus and his SA Mil-Spec. I'm sure we'd have done much better with $2500 Baers.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greener View Post
I really love some of the gun snobs. I've had a few to remind me constantly what theirs cost. One was doing that, and dissing my PT1911 while shooting 8" groups at 10 yards with his Kimber. My Taurus was doing 2" at 15 yards.

I bought the Taurus on price, figuring I'd find a deal on a good gun later. Later hasn't happened yet. When I'm doing my part, the crappy ole Taurus does tolerably well.

Yesterday my son and I were doing the on-ragged-hole bit at short range with my Taurus and his SA Mil-Spec. I'm sure we'd have done much better with $2500 Baers.
I'd have to agree with you on the Taurus greener. I've had mine for about 4 years now and haven't found a good reason yet to replace it with a "good 1911"! I paid $500 for mine, NIB and it has been worth every penny. When you're at the range, you don't have to defend "your crappy ole Taurus" - it speaks for itself!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
kansas45

The good thing about gun snobs is that usually you only have to put up with them for a short time. Then they give up on guns & shooting.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:19 AM   #18
greener
Extraordinary Member

I'd differentiate between the snobs and the guys I know who will buy what they consider a high quality firearm and are not too concerned about price. Know a couple of those guys. They don't brag about price.

If I felt like I had the money, I just might have a big name, high-priced gun. Nah, I'm basically too cheap.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
Mavrick

Default Les Baer types

Thought I'd drop a line to let you all know I'm still alive, as I have to check every morn, just to be sure. This way I've got confirmation from somebody that knows.
I usually don't have much problem from the LBT's, 'cause where I live there's a LOT of open dirt. I can use my favorite handguns with noone else to bother me, unless I take them with. Am I sorry? Not really, as much of the time I'm using my chronograph, and I'd as soon not be bothered. When I'm at the range I get a lot of new "lookie Lue"s and I'm explaining to the newbies what I'm doing. This is a good thing. I also get to use THEIR toys in my explanation!
Because I appear to be pretty knowledgable, few "know it alls" get in my face.
The old saying "If you can't impress 'em with your knowledge, dazzle 'em......." comes to mind. LOL My chrono is a 35 year old Oehler M33, so it appears I've been doing it a while.
Anyway, I've been playing with a toy for about 2 years now that has me really impressed. It really burns the LBT's, as when I run into them, it's not at the range, so they can't PROVE their stuff's better. Mine is a Fire-Storm .45.
It cost $666 OTD, with tax, Brady, holster, 2 spare mags, NIB.
I've run about 2K through it, and there's been only one j-bullet down the tube...the first test round from the factory! EVERYBODY knows that lead won't work in a .45ACP. The gun was bought for Steel, IDPA, etc, so has ALL the competition mods, except a compensator....from the factory.
I'm looking for a "Tanfo" in .40, and that's about as inexpensive as quality can be bought.
We'll see ya out there. I'll be the one without the Les Baer.
Gene
Mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #20
ExSniper

Sounds like a little "reverse snobbery" to me. Yes, it is annoying when someone thinks they can buy skill. It is also annoying when someone feels they need to defend their particular choice of firearm.
If you bought it, you like it, and it shoots as well as you do then enjoy. If some range commando acts like an idiot, ignore them. They do not all carry semi-custom pistols, sometimes they have Tauri or Firestorms or Rugers.
If I could afford a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc, I'd get one or several! It is not the equipment that makes the owner a snob.
ExSniper is offline   Reply With Quote