Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Shot the Ruger Wrangler today

I made another grocery run in Lawrence today. Before I stopped at the store, I went to the indoor range. I've only shot the little Wrangler once since I got it. You've probably all seen them advertised. They're kind of a poor man's Single Six. Mine is finished with silver Cerokote. I took a 50 round box of Aquila 40 gr Super High Velocity rounds and 100 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity ammo. I've seen a few complaints about these little guns on the forums. Some say they have had problems with cylinder timing being off and the loading gate being too hard to open. I can agree with the loading gate spring, but mine has gotten better with use. As for timing, mine is spot on. The trigger is not great, but not bad either - it's a typical Ruger single action trigger. These little guys have fixed sights - typical single action stuff. The front sight is really thin and the rear is just a narrow slot in the top of the frame. I shot mine enough to day to know that the gun shoots about 2" low from 3 to 15 yards. I didn't try anything farther than 15 yards. The first hundred rounds I fired using one hand, sort of a point a shoot deal at 3 and 5 yards. The last 50 rounds I used a 2 hand hold and tried for accuracy at 10 yards. It actually does pretty well when I do my part. The tiny little sights make it tough, but when I did my part, it actually shot pretty well. It is definitely minute of beer can accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Not bad for a $189.00 plinker.

(Attached picture is from my first time out with the Wrangler - not today.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 yd rested.jpg (93.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
panther
Extraordinary Member

I've noticed that these have stayed at the same price through all the panic buying recently. There is a model out there with nicer wood grips that runs a little higher, but not too expensive.
You always know that Ruger will stand behind their product, that's worth alot right there.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
rman
Extraordinary Member

I've toyed with the idea of putting wood grips on it, but I bought as a cheapie, knock-around gun, and so far have resisted the urge. (It would look better though - even if they were just plain walnut.)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Nice rman!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
glockensig

Tempted to get one of these.
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle
glockensig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockensig View Post

I was just checking on line for one of these... I notice at BassPro they are $199 and at Cabelas they are $219 Same company but priced differently.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockensig View Post
They're fun little guys glock. I think you'd like it, and if not, you won't be out much money.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post

I was just checking on line for one of these... I notice at BassPro they are $199 and at Cabelas they are $219 Same company but priced differently.
It pays to check around.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
It pays to check around.
Yes it does, I have found the Heritage Rough Rider for $149 at Sportsman's Warehouse in Missoula.

Found the Ruger at our Sportsman's Ski Haus for $189 I just wish there was a 22 WMR cylinder for it.

The Heritage just may win out, because they do have a cylinder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger.jpg (68.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

I'm not crazy about the .22 WMR in handguns. My Ruger Single Six has an extra cylinder and I think I've shot 100 rounds through it in over 40 years. It's loud, kind of expensive to shoot and not very accurate. 22 LR handguns and rifles have .222" bores and the .22 Mag uses .224" bullets. The mag ammo uses a slower burning powder and velocity suffers a lot in shorter barrels. I believe they average about 200 to 250 fps faster than .22 LR CCI Mini Mags in the same length handgun barrel. From what I've read though, the Heritage Rough Riders are pretty good little revolvers.