Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Firearms > Long Guns > Muzzle loading and Powders

Muzzle loading and Powders Place to discuss Muzzle Loading and Components

Old 12-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default Can you overload a muzzleloader

Simply no

Pretty much using BP or the approved sub powder, you just can't over load a muzzleloader.... I have tested a CVA Mountain Rifle .50 cal with a heavy octagon barrel many years ago, and the charge was 300 gr of Pyrodex RS. The CVA Mountain Rifle, was benched, and a pull cord used. After the shot the CVA Mountain Rifle was inspected, with the only visible signs where the nose cape screws were driven out, but the barrel etc was fine.

Here is a video from Idahoan who tested with his test barrel device and litterally your shoulder will give out before your muzzleloader with from an over charged load. You have more to worry about with a barrel obstruction than you do an overloaded charge. What I don't agree with here, is the demonstration on video of using smokeless powder in his test barrel... it's teaching the wrong thing since nothing happened to his test barrel until the barrel obstruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUnVwFsE3TQ
Old 12-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Interesting experiment. I'm not surprised that an overload of black powder didn't cause any issues. I am really surprised that the barrel didn't suffer any visible damage until it was fired with a ridiculous overload plus a serious barrel obstruction.