Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default Great Experience with Park Service Girl

This last trip into Glacier National Park, I got out at the check station to take a photo of the Two Medicine check station to put it side by side to the photo from 1932. The Park Service girl, asked if she could talk with me about my sidearm I said sure.

She asked if I had a permit for it, and I told her here in Montana a permit is not needed for open carry, but only concealed while in cities only. But I did in fact have a permit for concealed carry.

I told her while in the open areas I carry open just in case I need it, just my bear spray and marine signal horn. She kind of cocked her head when I said signal horn. I said, well days like today the wind is blowing in my face here.. if a bear were coming at me from that direction bear spray is not going to help but would get on me... the air horn will work no matter what.. it has been tried and tested in Alaska. I told her that I know the regulations about shooting a gun in Glacier National Park.

And that the 2010 law allowing us to carry a firearm doesn't mean we can shoot a bear, but only at the last resort.... BUT it was passed so we can protect ourselves from the criminals that do visit the park system. I told her in the more crowded areas of the park, I wear an outdoor best to cover up, so not to draw attention to myself or my firearm. I told her I'm also an ex-deputy sheriff from here in Montana and California. She thanked me for my time, as I did her as well.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good job J_B. It's nice to know that some folks like her listen and are receptive to what they are told. Too many think they already know it all and don't want to hear what you have to say. If you can get them to listen, logically explaining what you do and why you do is a great way to further our right to carry.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
kansas45

Thanks JB. You explained yourself and the law very well to the litle lady.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

Good job J_B! I'm sure she learned some factual reasoning in the minds of us "gun nuts"!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote