Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Armscorp (RIA) .22 TCM/9mm

This is going to be a little different than my usual range reports. First of all, the gun doesn't belong to me. Secondly, I've never shot a .22 TCM before. The gun belongs to a young kid who works at the indoor shooting range. He told me last Tuesday that if I came in today, he would bring the TCM for me to try out. I went today and sure enough, he brought it.

This is an interesting little round. There are two versions of the ammo. One is called the .22 TCM and the other is the .22 TCM 9R. The regular version shoots a pointy 40 gr JHP bullet. The 9R version shoots a 39 gr round nose JHP bullet and is noticeably shorter. These were designed to work in Glock 9mm magazines or regular 1911 9mm mags. 1911 mags designed for 9mm hold 9 rounds and have a rib on the inside of the magazine that effectively shortens the internal length of the mags. The TCM mag does not have the rib and holds 10 rounds.

Rock Island Arms quotes 2,000 fps for these rounds. Published chronograph data shows that it meets and exceeds the 2K velocity.

Rock Island markets several versions of this handgun including a double-stack. The one I shot today was a TCM Rock Ultra FS Combo .22 TCM/9mm. It is a single-stack with a 5" barrel, blued, competition type flared mag well, beavertail grip safety, has an adjustable rear sight and a fiber optic front sight. It comes equipped with a nice set of gray G10 grips, ambi-dextrous safeties and trigger with an adjustable stop for over travel. It also comes with a 9mm barrel, magazines and recoil spring.

I bought a box of factory Armscorp ammo with the 40 gr JHP bullet. Shooting it is quite an experience. The muzzle blast and fireball rival the .44 Magnum. Recoil however, is like a 9mm or less. The gun functioned perfectly through 50 rounds and ejection is robust. The trigger pull didn't match the best 1911 triggers I've shot, but it sure isn't bad. I didn't have my trigger pull gauge, but would estimate it at about 4.5#. It has a tiny amount of grit and creep, but is pretty good for an out-of-box 1911. I fired 50 rounds at 10 yards. I'd like to tell you that I shot it great, but I hate liars. I'm guessing my group was about 6 to 8 inches overall, well-centered, but about 2" low of point of aim. That wouldn't be a problem if it were mine, because the rear sight is adjustable for elevation and windage. My excuse - the muzzle flash and blast got to me.

It was fun experience. I'm not sure what the round is really good for, but it darn sure is fun to shoot.

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/tcm...mbo-22tcm-9mm/

Last edited by rman; 08-22-2018 at 09:07 AM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
dowop

Nice report rman.You have me thinking...again. The Sig I want is kinda hard to come by in this area plus I already have a couple of 9mm already(:|
dowop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Thanks for the report. I have been kinda sorta thinking about the 22TCM/9mm. It hasn't gone past the thinkin stage yet, but its a 2 in 1 sorta thing, and I would break that 9mm 1911 barrier.

Thanks again.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
Thanks for the report. I have been kinda sorta thinking about the 22TCM/9mm. It hasn't gone past the thinkin stage yet, but its a 2 in 1 sorta thing, and I would break that 9mm 1911 barrier.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. I know what you mean Teddybear. If I didn't already have a 9mm 1911, I think I'd on jump on this one. I know that RIA's have a good reputation, but I was impressed with this one. I just can't figure out why I "need" it.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

In the interest of fairness, I decided I should post the picture of my 50 round group at 10 yards. It sure ain't nothing to brag about. The group measures 7-1/8 inches. I don't really blame the gun. I think the shooter dropped the ball on this one. Vetter, this group should make you smile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_1160.jpg (88.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Vetter
Banned

Talking

My best ever 50 round 10 yard group was maybe close to that.

Last edited by Vetter; 08-24-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
That 50 round 10 yard group was maybe close to that.
Not all of my groups are worthy of photos.

Last edited by rman; 08-28-2018 at 04:39 AM.
rman is offline   Reply With Quote