Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Recommendations > Things you would Recommend for others.

Things you would Recommend for others. Things you have tried, and would recommend to others.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
Vetter, thanks for the tip on the cane. I had ordered one of them fancy Oak Canes, that was supposed to be 1" , but it turned out to be 3/4". It is light and looks nice for dress, but not a working cane. I ordered a Hickory 1" cane from http://www.enasco.com/product/C07436N for 8.25 plus shipping, and it is a 1" cane. It was unfinished but I had some Golden Oak Stain so I cut about 2" off the crook, sanded it down good, put one coat of stain on it, and 3 coats of linseed oil, and it is just the cats mew.
Calvin, I ordered my first one from Enasco and they sent me an octagon shaped fairly light cane. It felt like it would have made a fine cane but wouldn't hold up to a good whack to the noggin' . I ordered another from somebody else (they sent me a huge catalog that I can't find) and it was exactly what I wanted. Mine is 1" hickory and finished, not pretty but OK. Very heavy and I'm pretty sure about as strong as a "Louisville Slugger". They called it a "stockman's cane" and being a "white ghetto Philly city rat" I ain't too sure what that is ! I know it was only about 8 bucks and serves the purpose. It kinda' gives you a non-lethel way to deal with a minor threat and that could be a good thing for all involved. I'm sure yours looks great, mine is kinda' the Glock of canes!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
Calvin, I ordered my first one from Enasco and they sent me an octagon shaped fairly light cane. It felt like it would have made a fine cane but wouldn't hold up to a good whack to the noggin' . I ordered another from somebody else (they sent me a huge catalog that I can't find) and it was exactly what I wanted. Mine is 1" hickory and finished, not pretty but OK. Very heavy and I'm pretty sure about as strong as a "Louisville Slugger". They called it a "stockman's cane" and being a "white ghetto Philly city rat" I ain't too sure what that is ! I know it was only about 8 bucks and serves the purpose. It kinda' gives you a non-lethel way to deal with a minor threat and that could be a good thing for all involved. I'm sure yours looks great, mine is kinda' the Glock of canes!
Guess I got lucky. Mine is a full 1" and heavy. It feels like you could knock a Bull down with it. The fancy Oak cane that I got was a 1" cane but had 1/4" of acrylic on it. I didn't like the acrylic and stripped it off and put a hand rubbed finish on it. I'll use the Oak cane for a Barbecue cane, and my Hickory for a all purpose cane.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #13
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Heres the formula I'm using on the finish. The Oak cane I put two coats of stain to get the desired darkness, but the Hickory cane only took one. I put very light coats on and let them dry for 24 hours before proceeding. Then I start with Boiled Linseed oil and put it in my hand and rub a very light coat into the wood every hour for one day. Then I hand rub a light coat into the wood every day for a week. Then each week for a month. Then once a month for a year. Then once a year thereafter. I'm to once a week on the Oak Cane and still daily on the Hickory. The Oak Cane is Beautiful and the Hickory Cane is getting there. My Grandson ask me why the Oak Cane feels so soft?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
My Grandson ask me why the Oak Cane feels so soft?
Smooth, maybe?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Sharon has some pictures of my Cane on her Camera, but she has misplaced the thing she downloads them with. When she Finds it, I'll post some. I found out something. The Boiled Linseed Oil won't make a hard finish. It looks good but its easy to skin up the finish and dent the wood. I sanded the wood and put a Tung Oil Finish on it. Now it looks better than the Linseed Oil finish. I have done 3 Canes with it, and really like it. It makes a clear hard finish that enhances the grain of the wood. http://www.formbys.com/products/tung_oil.cfm
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #16
Vetter
Banned

Talking

Calvin, I think about working on my "good leg" but I'm too lazy to start. If I made it purdy I would probably leave it in a shopping cart. Hard to believe we have got to the time in life to worry about our cane. Go ahead and post the pic's of your cane, showoff! You trying to give me "cane envy"?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #17
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

I guess having to use a Cane is not all that bad. At least my 3yr old Grandson don't think so. I had to put a Tung Oil Finish on an Old Cane that I had for him to use. When we go anywhere together, he has to use the Cane. He's the talk of the crowd where-ever we go, with him using a Cane like Grandpa.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
Vetter
Banned

Smile

Your Grandson acting like Grandpa has got to be sight to see. I smile just picturing that in my mind. I envy all you Pop Pops! I have my nieces, nephews and all their children to have a little fun with but it ain't quite the same!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
gmh1013

Quote:
Anyone else use a walking cane? I finally broke down and ordered me a 1" Solid Oak Walking Cane. I wanted it where it wouldn't break if I had to hit Sharon over the head with it. I can walk without one but I got to thinking that if us Old Farts, that have an excuse to use one, in a close situation, it would be better than a gun for defense.
I use one my wife got me...has dogs on the top of it.
It would make a good defense weapon if I cant whip out my Ruger SP fast enough
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #20
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
I use one my wife got me...has dogs on the top of it.
It would make a good defense weapon if I cant whip out my Ruger SP fast enough
For close quarters in a crowded place, a knife or cane could be better than a gun for defense. My cane also helps keep me upright.