Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Boo Boo Thread!

I was reading a thread on another Board and got the idea to put up a Boo Boo thread here. It is entertaining, but my main objective is that maybe someone reading about someone else's mistakes won't make the same one themselves.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Don't leave a gun without a firing pin block on a loaded chamber.

I'll start off by telling of one I made. Years ago, I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. I had it loaded with hollow point bullets and in the closes closet. I heard something during the night and got it out of the holster to check on the noise. When I put it back in the holster, I for got to snap it in. A few days later, the Wife and I were going Fishing at the Ranch. I took the Gun out of the closet and was carrying it through the Kitchen, with my Wife one step behind me, and I tilted the holster up too far and the revolver slid out of the holster, hit the tile floor and fired. It went in my leg above the knee, up my leg under the muscle next to the bone, and came out and lodged in the credit cards in my billfold. Morale of the story is don't leave a gun without a firing pin block on a loaded chamber.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Always have someone with you when working with dangerous equipment.

Father-in-law and I were clearing land at the Ranch. I cut a big tree and it split at the cut and some was holding up the tree after the tree fell. I cut off the scab where the tree trunk would fall the rest of the way. When I did the tree caught my thumb between the trunk and the stump. My father-in-law went to the truck and got a hammer and wedge and drove the wedge in to get my thumb out. If I had been by myself, I wound have had to cut off my thumb to get loose, because no one was close enough to holler for help, and I didn't have a cell phone.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Where do I start? I gotta think about this
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Last month, I was breaking down a skid and cutting the packing straps with my knife. The first one was cut in one quick swipe. The second did not. As I prepared to take another swipe, someone called my name and I looked away. I was quite suprised that I did not cut the strap as if felt like a good hit. Well, it was a good swipe. I sliced the tip of my finger good. I should of gotten stiches it was that bad. But I opted for the napkin and packing tape first aid instead. It did not stop bleeding untill i got home that night. Now, the finger is still numb on the tip but you can't see a scar at all.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Vetter
Banned

Calvin, I like this thread! Power tools too numerous to mention but I still have all my fingers. Firearms, once . About 30 years ago a bunch of us guys were at the range shooting each others guns having a good old time. I was plinkin' with a 22 semi auto rifle. A bunch of bang, bang, bang then click, click. A buddy asked if I was done, I pointed it into the air, pulled the trigger and bang. Nobody got hurt and nobody really said anything but I sure knew I made a big boo boo! Big lesson learned. There have been other boo boo's made by me and I'll admit to one every once in a while. In the meantime, I know Calvin, Bozack and I aren't the only Bozo's here, let's here your boo, boo's.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
tonyex

Send a message via Yahoo to tonyex

Fifty years ago, when a kid could go to the Vol Fireman's chiefs house and buy M80s, the real kind, my brothers and I decided to light up the little town at night with a real bottle rocket. It was 2 am, cut open an M80, poured the powder into the glass top of an empty whiskey bottle, some had glass tops. We launched it, or tried to from the roof of our house, when that baby exploded I was the only one hit, right on the jaw. My youngest brother got busy mopping up blood, the middle brother couldn't stand to see blood, he fainted. I knocked on my Aunts bedroom door and asked her to take me to the emergency room she said 'Glady, I don't want to be around to explain to the police what that explosion was." Now the hospital is only 10 minutes drive, it seemed like 10 hours to me because she had to tell me horror stories about getting Lock Jaw from gun powder injuries. She had me scared to death. I completly forgot about my jaw. 20 or 30 stitches later I was as good as new. End of our Rocket launching career.
Hope your happy Z06vettever, I don't tell that story very often.