Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > New Members

New Members New Members please start a thread here and tell a little about yourself, so we can have a chance to welcome you and get acquainted. Thanks !

Old 11-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #11
NavyDoc76-80

Default My story

Ive thought about this, looking back to what has brought me here. My story? Born in the late fifties, raised in that unspoken language through deeds and action more than words that God, country then family were most important. Mixed in there was the can do spirit, no matter what, you can overcome but only if hard work was the under lying foundation. Some where i missed the part about education, that would come much later. Education at a young age never put any money in my pocket. Fast forward, joined Navy in 76. Served primarily with the 1st Marine Brigade with a grunt unit as a Navy Hospital Corpsman out of Koneoha Bay. Thought i would be a lifer, but a money opportunity coaxed me out of doing that, that failed so i thought of Physician Assitant school at Rutgers, one phone call of inquire and they said they wouldnt recognize any of my Navy experience to reduce credit load so i said screw that and went after a Forestry degree at U of Montana. Three years in, got involved in a boat building company (money thing again) went belly up, left school, went to Florida. A few years in skilled labor jobs. Time to move on again. Fast forward, didnt settle down till i met my wife, married six weeks later, 87', in NC. We started a Locksmith business, sold it after 8yrs, started an Alarm business, sold it after 2yrs, mean time passed my NC state electrical board for my electrical license. I maintain that license but not active. Service connected injuries slowed me down by mid forties, i unfortunately needed a desk job. Found one in the textile business, primarily a pattern maker using a CAD based program and a digitizing table. No previous experience, just figured it out. About a year and a half ago, i found i couldnt sit eight hours a day. I left, factory closed down seven months later. Have a son in the Heating and Air and refrigeration in the Marine Industry side of things, daughter in college, me?, what keeps me sane is reloading and working on my Rossi'. Dont see myself being very useful to an employer so i maintain my self respect by doing what i can around the house. Thanksgiving? Oh yeah, much to be thankful for. Goals? Need to figure out how to make money from home. Thats all i got, thanks for allowing me to share.
NavyDoc76-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good story NavyDoc. I always think it is interesting to hear someone in our age group tell their life story. It sounds like you had a widely varied job history, much as I did. Money was usually my main focus and it seemed I could always talk my way into jobs that I was NOT qualified for. Somehow I always managed to learn and earn my money though.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #13
NavyDoc76-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Good story NavyDoc. I always think it is interesting to hear someone in our age group tell their life story. It sounds like you had a widely varied job history, much as I did. Money was usually my main focus and it seemed I could always talk my way into jobs that I was NOT qualified for. Somehow I always managed to learn and earn my money though.
Funny how a family is a motivating factor, i never feared that i couldnt keep a roof over our heads and food on the table, i actually enjoyed working more then most and prefered work over most other activities. Like you, money was the main focus, it wasnt till i left my last job that i looked for a hobby that would challange me, and oh boy picking the Roosi bug really filled that not to mention re-loading. One last thought rman dont mean to babble, my son said to me not long ago that if it hadnt been for his mother i probably would have been pushing up daisies along time ago, so i thank God, and my Ms. Mary for keeping me on the straight and narrow all these years.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDoc76-80 View Post
Funny how a family is a motivating factor, i never feared that i couldnt keep a roof over our heads and food on the table, i actually enjoyed working more then most and prefered work over most other activities. Like you, money was the main focus, it wasnt till i left my last job that i looked for a hobby that would challange me, and oh boy picking the Roosi bug really filled that not to mention re-loading. One last thought rman dont mean to babble, my son said to me not long ago that if it hadnt been for his mother i probably would have been pushing up daisies along time ago, so i thank God, and my Ms. Mary for keeping me on the straight and narrow all these years.
There is no doubt in my mind that my wife has kept me alive in spite of my best efforts to live on the wild side. She is also the reason I'm not a falling down drunk. (I do still enjoy a cold Bud Light or four though.) I think I'm fortunate not to have been as seriously bitten by the Rossi bug as you. I only have the one .357 Mag 92 and that one kept me real busy for a while trying to figure out how to make it slick and feed every time. One time during a pistol caliber round in a cowboy silhouette match, I game close to throwing the rifle as far as I could. I don't have much patience with guns that don't function well. Actually, I have NO patience with them. It is working nicely now though, thanks to you folks on Rossi Rifleman.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
NavyDoc76-80

Rman,....I appreciate your words.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
chris1234
Extraordinary Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chris1234

Welcome Navy Doc from england, these old chaps on here could use a doc.
Hope you have a great time on here