Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Followup report on Rossi 92

Well... it's been a long road, with a few twists and turns. In May I ordered a case hardened .357 with a 20" octagon barrel. The rifle was pretty good out of the box, but of course I had to do all the tinkering that we 92 owners do. I removed the rear sight and replaced it with a blank. I had a gunsmith drill and tap the receiver and installed a Williams Foolproof receiver sight with target knobs. I replaced the slotted elevation locking screw with a gib lock screw on the Foolproof. I disassembled it and did a lot of polishing on the hammer sides, the locking bolts and bearing surfaces on the lever. Replaced the ejector, hammer, trigger and lever springs with those from the Lee Gunslinger kit. I had problems with the hammer binding with the new mainspring and put the stock one back in. I also replaced the magazine follower and bolt safety with replacements from Steve's. Also removed small burrs from around the loading port, the notch in the back of the bolt and lower tang. Lightened the tension on the loading gate spring. I bought 2 different front sights for it - a Lyman 17AHB globe sight and a green fibre optic blade from Steve's. The Lyman was a very loose fit in the dovetail. A member on another forum, Singleshotcajun, told me how to fix it, but I'm pressed for time and decided to install the green fibre one.

I took it to the range today. It was a perfect day for shooting - temperature was in the 70's, it was overcast and there was very little wind. I set up paper cutout silhouettes of javelinas, turkeys and rams. (There is no target board at 40m for chickens, so I skipped that one.) I started out shooting at 50m on the javelinas from the bench. The little 92 shot 5 shot groups of .5 - .75" at that range, and it only took a few shots to get on target. I shot a 5 shot group off hand and went 5 for 5 on the javelinas. Then I tried going up 10 clicks and that put me dead on for the turkeys at 75m. I tried a 5 shot group offhand and only had 3 hits, but that's not unusual for me on turkeys. Next, I went up 25 clicks and that put me in the center of the rams at 100m from the bench. The gun is shooting 1.5" groups at this range from the bench. I shot a 5 shot group offhand and ended up with 4 hits. I think I can truthfully say that all misses were on me.

I was shooting my reloads in .357 Magnum brass.
Norma Brass
CCI 500 Primers
Berry's Hard Cast 125 gr FP Bullets
5.3 gr of W231 powder
This load shoots good and feeds through the rifle great.

I really like this little rifle and it shoots better than I can when shooting offhand. The action is now as slick as glass. I used the scale and tested the trigger pull. It breaks between 15 oz and 1 lb consistently. I've done all the safety tests on the trigger and it passes with no problems. I don't like the front sight. It shows up good, but at 1/16", it's just too big. I plan to try the globe sight again, but not until after this Sunday's match. The Lyman has a bead insert that is pretty tiny. That is what my grandson uses on my Marlin 39A and he loves it. This should make a great little rifle for pistol caliber silhouette shooting. Now I just have to learn to shoot it better.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
kansas45

Sounds like you have that rifle working pretty good, rman. Good luck in your upcoming match.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
Vetter
Banned

Talking

Gosh rman, you had to do all that to a new gun? Only kidding, sounds like you got it tuned like a Swiss watch! Good luck at the match!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
Gosh rman, you had to do all that to a new gun? Only kidding, sounds like you got it tuned like a Swiss watch! Good luck at the match!
Thanks guys! Vetter, you do have to do quite a bit of tuning on the Rossi rifles to get them suitable for competition. They usually come out of box a little rough. If all a guy was going to do was hunt or plink they would be fine. I don't mind though. A Japanese company, Miroku, makes some Brownings and some guns under the Winchester trademark. Their replica of the Model 92 is a slick, finely finished gun, but costs well over twice as much as the Rossi. In addition, you'd still have to have it drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, swap out the front sight and do a trigger job on it. Shooting offhand is hard and I'm not very good at it. I need every advantage I can get!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Vetter
Banned

Smile

I like tinkering with my Glocks too. I have polished all the trigger parts so they are smooth as can be but I put Glock OEM NY1 - 8.5 lb. trigger springs in the 2 we carry. I may take the Siderlock triggers out and the stock triggers back with the 8.5 lb. pull a AD is highly unlikely. I put the 8.5's in because if the SHTF fumbling around the trigger could be a bad thing. The G30 I put back to bone stock with a 5.5 lb. spring. I'm no sharpshooter and only look to be able to constantly double tap 2 in about 6". When the range is crowded you can get away with it every once in a while. Airsoft is fun in the back yard. I can draw and empty the mag as fast as I can pull the trigger from as soon as the holster is cleared, one hand point and shoot into a pie plate. Once again, good luck to you both at the match!
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
greener
Extraordinary Member

Sounds like you've made it into a fine shooter. Makes me want to wander out and look at Rossis
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Good report rman. Sounds like all your time and effort has transformed that little rifle into a great shooter.
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

Shot the 92 in a CLA silhouette match at Tappan Hill Sunday. Everything went smooth - no glitches or malfunctions. Shot my second best score ever. I like this little rifle. It must be the rifle - I shot my second worst score ever with the .22 on the same day.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
kansas45

Well, sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:30 AM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
Well, sometimes your the windshield and sometimes your the bug.
Ain't it the truth! (Usually I'm the windshield)