Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
rman
Extraordinary Member

Default Rossi 92

I bought this rifle the last week in May. Out of the box, the action was fairly smooth and it fed dummy .357 mag rounds OK. The trigger was smooth enough, but measured about 4 pounds. I immediately screwed it up. I decided it needed to be disassembled and degreased. I threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner with a strong solution of brass cleaner instead of the metal cleaning solvent like I intended. It removed most of the bluing from the lever, hammer, trigger and lower tang.

I took it to a local gunsmith on June 2nd and asked him to drill and tap the receiver and install a Williams Foolproof receiver sight. He suggested that he Cerokote the parts that lost their bluing and said it would probably be about 3 weeks before it was done. I waited and waited and waited... finally on Thursday, July 10th, he called me and said it was done. I drove in to pick it up and discovered that all he had done was D&T the receiver and install the receiver sight. Apparently he forgot he was going to Cerokote the parts. I decided not to mention it to him and brought it home with me. I'd waited too long already.

Friday I removed the buckhorn rear sight, installed a dove tail blank, installed a stainless steel magazine follower and a Lee Gunslinger spring kit. I worked 6 solid hours on this thing, polishing action parts, deburring and polishing the trigger. I removed the loading gate, reduced some of the tension from the spring and deburred the loading port. When I got done, I reassembled and found that the action was really SMOOTH. The trigger pull was down to about 1.5 pounds, but safety tested just fine. It had an almost imperceptible around of creep.

I finally got the 92 to the range this morning. Function with live ammo was perfect - rounds feed from the magazine to the chamber as slick as glass. I was concerned that I would need a taller front sight. I was wrong - it is the perfect height. The post may not be the right choice for CLA silhouette shooting, but I can make do with it for awhile. I was able to get on target as close as 25 yards and have enough adjustment left to reach out to 200 yards or beyond. That imperceptible amount of creep I noticed went away after about 50 rounds. I need to do more load development, but for the first time out, I'm really pleased with this little lever.

The target below is nothing to brag about, but it isn't bad for a start. It was shot at 50 yards and is comprised of 2 different loads:
Norma .357 Magnum brass
CCI 500 primers
5.0 gr of W231
Load 7 - 5 shots with Berry's plated 125 gr RNFP bullets
Load 8 - 5 shots with Berry's hard cast 125 gr RNFP bullets

It definitely preferred load #8 - 5 shots in 1-1/8th inches.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
kansas45

Nice rifle rman. You sure did a good job getting it ready for the range.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
greener
Extraordinary Member

Looking good
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
rman
Extraordinary Member

Aftermarket kits are not always an improvement. When I got home from the range, I played with the rifle for awhile and suddenly the hammer starting binding really bad. I couldn't think of anything that could cause it except the new mainspring. I pulled the stock and sure enough the new spring was binding up where the hammer strut passes through a tab on the lower tang. The new spring is made of smaller wire, is longer and smaller in diameter than the stock spring. I thought about putting a washer on the hammer strut to keep it from getting caught at the tab, but just replaced it with the stock spring. It takes a little more effort to cock the hammer by hand, but it's not noticeable when working the action. It had no effect on trigger pull. The hammer fall is noticeably heavier, which is probably a good thing. I shouldn't have any misfires and the lock time should be a bit faster. I'm just glad this didn't happen during a match.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
kansas45

A lot of things are accomplished by trial and error. Even when I think I have a gun working how I think it should, I sometimes do just a little bit more. I have gone over the edge and wonder why I couldn't just leave well enough alone. The same thing applies to race cars and farm equipment.
Glad you caught that spring problem before you found yourself kicking butt in a match and chalked up a DNF.

Will Rogers
Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
Glad you caught that spring problem before you found yourself kicking butt in a match and chalked up a DNF.
The likelihood of me kicking butt in a match is somewhere between slim and none, but having a malfunction during a match is pretty frustrating anyway.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
kansas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
The likelihood of me kicking butt in a match is somewhere between slim and none, but having a malfunction during a match is pretty frustrating anyway.
Gosh, rman. You sure are modest.

Will Rogers
Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
Vetter
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
As much as you shoot, you gotta be really good! I'm so bad, if the guy in the lane next to me has a flier I say, "sorry pal, that was me". It makes them feel better.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
kansas45

Very generous of you, Vetter.

Will Rogers
Old 07-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
As much as you shoot, you gotta be really good! I'm so bad, if the guy in the lane next to me has a flier I say, "sorry pal, that was me". It makes them feel better.