Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop This Board was established along the lines of a Virtual Coffee Shop, with the idea of having a place to relax, visit and discuss the days happenings, and exchange information about different topics.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Default Hunter's arm grabbed by grizzly bear

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articl...ICLE/170929873

HUNTER'S ARM GRABBED BY GRIZZLY BEAR
September 27, 2017 at 2:15 pm | By BREEANA LAUGHLIN Daily Inter Lake

Hunter's arm grabbed by grizzly bear
FILE - This July 6, 2011, file photo shows a grizzly bear roaming near Beaver Lake in Yellowstone National Park, Wyo. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department recorded 223 cases of conflicts between grizzly bears and humans last year. The number is down from the previous year but more conflicts are occurring in areas outside established bear habitat.

A hunter suffered minor injuries following a grizzly bear attack near the Hungry Horse Reservoir at about 9 a.m. Sunday, according to an investigation by Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

According to the FWP report release Wednesday, the father and his adult son who live in the Kalispell area, were hunting black bears on the east side of Hungry Horse Reservoir near the Dry Park area when the female grizzly bear charged and attacked the son. The bear grabbed the son's right arm at his elbow, and the father reportedly started shooting at the bear with a 44 caliber pistol while his son's arm was still in the clench of the grizzly. The bear released and two more shots were reportedly fired, the final shot at very close range as the bear turned toward the father.

According to the FWP investigation, the pair of hunters were pursuing a black bear along steep slopes and thick vegetation when the attack happened about 9 a.m. They reported seeing the brush moving about 25 to 30 yards away but didn't see the bear until it was 12 feet away. After the attack, the injured victim and his father drove to the hospital for medical attention. Neither individual was carrying bear spray.

The Fish, Wildlife and Parks Wildlife Human Attack Response Team investigated the attack site following the incident, and returned to the scene again Monday. They were assisted by Two Bear Air to locate the bear.

According to FWP Investigator Brian Sommers, the team located the dead female grizzly bear near the attack site. The bear was approximately 12 years old, 250 pounds and in good condition. The bear was unmarked with no known management history.

Sommers said the bear's behavior prior to the attack indicated it was trying to reduce the potential threat to her young. Based on the team's investigation, and her physical condition, the bear was not lactating at the time it was killed, and was likely accompanied by at least one yearling, which would be weaned and capable of surviving on its own.

Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks reminds hunters and recreationists that carrying bear spray is another deterrent option. Bears are actively feeding in preparation for winter, which can lead to an increase in bear encounters.

Last edited by J_B; 09-27-2017 at 05:23 PM.
J_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

He's lucky he only had minor injuries. Sounds like the bear didn't fare as well.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
kansas45

I sure wish we had bears around here!

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Vetter
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
That's it kansas, you are really crazy! We don't need no bears! We only have black bears and they are a real nuisance.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
greener
Extraordinary Member

Bear spray AND the .44 sounds good
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post