Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Recommendations > Things you would Recommend for others.

Things you would Recommend for others. Things you have tried, and would recommend to others.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
caneman

Default Phone works for my daughter

I have an old style cell phone that only lets you make and take calls.

My daughter has one of the newer ones with "APPS" etc. In one of the sites I frequent I saw you can get a free APP called "Knots Guide" and it is a great site with dozens of knots and their applications

A HUGE ADDED BONUS: is a note "You might also enjoy these APPS. and from there she downloaded FREE the Military Survival Manual #FM21-76. Oodles of information to carry with you.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Guess you're going to have to get one of those "new fangled" phones caneman. (I don't have one either - can't afford the service.)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Vetter
Banned

Smile

I would like to take a hammer to the phones and ignorant people using them. Arggggg.....
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
caneman

I will say that if my family had been affluent enough (Me now for that matter) to afford technology like this it would have been great. When I was in Boy Scouts a lifetime ago I took my handbook on campouts and the leaders weren't a whole not more knowledgable the the scouts. This was a city group and not outdoors oriented.

Access to the Military Survival Manual would have been a major asset if anything had gone haywire. I wasn't raised in a fishing/hunting family and never learned to tie a fishermans knot till I was 45 years old. Everything outdoors I know comes from reading, or from messing up or breaking something.

I guess I can see the advantages to some of the new stuff that those who had family training or a mentor see as a waste. My first intro to the outdoors was when I was 25 and bought Bradford Angiers "How to Stay Alive in the Woods". Then came the limited labrary books etc.

My impetus was a wife and two little kids and wanting them to appreciate the outdoors like I'd never had the opportunity to learn. We were pretty poor monetarily (But not in the important things) so it meant renting a tent and packing in beer cartons from the local brewery. Made plenty of mistakes but nothing disasterous and we had some great times.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

In my experience, anything you learn on your own initiative, is a lesson that you always remember. I was fortunate to grow up on a farm. We didn't have any money, but we had the great outdoors to explore and enjoy. My Dad wasn't a hunter or fishmerman, but he didn't discourage me from hunting, and I hunted small game a lot. I still don't know much about fishing and the little that I do know, I learned from my wife.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Vetter
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
My Dad wasn't a hunter or fishmerman, but he didn't discourage me from hunting, and I hunted small game a lot. I still don't know much about fishing and the little that I do know, I learned from my wife.
Good Dad and a good wife!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
kansas45

With a phone like this the world is at your fingertips. I'm using mine right now.

Will Rogers
kansas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Jake has a phone that gets anything, that is on the internet. I use the internet a lot for information. I was raised in the Country, and when I go to the Country, I leave the City behind. People lived in the Country without any of the City stuff, years ago, and surely I can spend a day or two there without it. I don't even have a cell phone, but Sharon does. She takes it to work with her, and can call me when I'm at the Office, but when I'm in the Country, they just have to hunt until they find me.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
rman
Extraordinary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Wiles View Post
I don't even have a cell phone, but Sharon does. She takes it to work with her, and can call me when I'm at the Office, but when I'm in the Country, they just have to hunt until they find me.
Sometimes it's nice to be able to lay low!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Vetter
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas45 View Post
With a phone like this the world is at your fingertips. I'm using mine right now.
Pamila Anderson?