Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Healthy Living

Healthy Living What do you do, or not do to make your Life Healthier.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Default Exercise Program

Is anyone doing any kind of exercises for your health?
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Jo5

I will be starting one very soon. Was in a bad wreck Oct. 2007 and am still under doctor's care. I look forward to becoming active again.
Jo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Calvin Wiles
The Old Fart Janitor

Sorry that you are going to have to start exercising under those circumstances. Hope you make a full recovery. My Wife had a stroke a couple of years ago and had to have a lot of Therapy. She has recovered a lot, but still have some problems when she gets real exhausted.
Calvin Wiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Jo5

Thank you, Calvin. I've been doing stretches but will start "excercising" and am feeling ready for it. Hopefully my body will be ready. Sorry to hear that your wife still struggles, does she have pain, too? Hope not. When I get a good excercise program going, will post with what I do and how it's working.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Sharon Wiles

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharon Wiles
Smile

I had 5 TIA's in November of 2005. Lost mobility on my left side-leg, arm, drooping eye, drawn mouth. That was on a Wednesday before Thanksgiving. By Monday they had me up and able to walk over 300 steps and so was released but had to come back 2 or 3 times a week for occupational therapy.

When I finished that month of therapy, I was still so weak that I couldn't press the keys on my keyboard. Went back to work half days in March, 2006.

Still droop and slur a bit when overly tired and have a tendency to drag my left foot, too. Other than some weakness in my arm, I feel totally recovered.

I'm very thankful for my ability to do most anything I want now.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Jo5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Wiles View Post
........Still droop and slur a bit when overly tired and have a tendency to drag my left foot, too. Other than some weakness in my arm, I feel totally recovered.

I'm very thankful for my ability to do most anything I want now.
Are TIA's something that you will continue to get? Not trying to be nosy, just curious. I'm glad to hear that you recovered and have minimal problems. Do you still take physical therapy?

I think the excercises are going to hurt. And by that, I mean hurt in a good way. These muscles haven't been worked in so long, I'm going to be sore, but a good sore. What's troubling me most is my ability to say the things I know I want to say, but it won't come out
Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Sharon Wiles

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharon Wiles

I am now taking a blood thinner, amid a lot of other pills. The problem was basically caused by plaque that had broken off and couldn't get pushed through the veins in my brain. My blood was way too thick!

I sometimes have trouble getting out the exact words I want to say. Names of people are sometimes slow at being recalled. I had to say a lot of "tongue twisters" to get my abilities back in pronouncing certain consonants.

Have my cholesterol and blood pressure under better control now. Am working on losing some weight gained from a largely sedentary four months after the TIA's.

It will take time, but recovery is something to strive for. Won't be easy, but WILL be worth it!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Bozack
Extraordinary Member

Sharon, keep up with your therapy and exerscising. Even if you have to take a long break. I had shoulder surgery and listened to my doctor and physical therapist and did the exercises at home alot. Some times it was only ten minutes at a time as my arm was completely atrophied form imobilization. I made a great recovery and i know you can, too. Never give up.
Bozack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Mrs. Jefferson Davis

I am glad I can enjoy going for walks. I do a routine from Callanetics, which is wonderful. I do those thrice a week. On the other days I do stretches learned years ago in dance classes. I probably should do more, but I'm amazed that I'm doing this much.

I gave my mother my favorite rocking chair. That's her main exercise. Gets her blood moving and strengthens the legs, the neck, etc. If you know any folks in the electric recliner set, getting them to use a rocking chair is very good, indeed.

Calvin, Jo, Sharon, and Bozack: hope you're all getting around well and enjoying moving.
Mrs. Jefferson Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
rman
Extraordinary Member

I don't have much of an exercise program. I try to walk as much as I can. Last summer Sharon and I were walking 3.5 miles every night at the local high school track. We had to quit because she broke her pelvis walking. The doctor said she had osteoporosis, but has never really done anything for her - says it has to heal on its own. Six months later, it still hasn't healed. I've starting walking on the treadmill at home again. I have to see my cardiologist in February. I'm pretty sure he's going to give me a nuclear stress test again and I want to be ready for it. They work you so hard it wears me slick! I also want to take a stab at quitting smoking and the exercise helps.