Early Risers Coffee Shop ® (  

Go Back   Early Risers Coffee Shop ® ("Where Friends enjoy Friends") > Range Reports

Range Reports Place to discuss Shooting.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Smile Springfield Armory Hellcat

I'll give you what I have so far.

I took it to the range Wednesday morning to check the function. The range was busy and an understanding gentlemen let me go in front of him to shoot. I ran 50 rounds thru it a mix of 124gn hollow point, 124gn FMJ, and 147gn Speer Gold Dot. The little pistol worked flawlessly with the types of ammo and all the mags fed ammo without exception. I didn't shoot for accuracy but suffice it to say, all shots were in a chest sized target. I'll get to accuracy testing as soon as I can.
As for the little pistol, its a little snappy but that is to be expected for such a small little gun. It is still easy to control, even during rapid fire AND it doesn't bother my arthritic hands which really surprised me. I really like the grip texture also. I think that helps me hang on to it better. It has a 3" barrel and weighs 1 pound .01oz empty w/o mag. It weighs 1 pound 9oz loaded with 14 rds of 147gn Speer Gold Dot. Trigger is 5# 12oz average for 5 pulls, and it still has the "dingus". Let off is crisp and has no creep. Reset if short and very audible. Not only could I hear it, I could feel it. The XD/XDs grip safety is not present on the HELLCAT and neither it the pop up loaded chamber indicator. That has been replaced with a peep hole. It does not have a thumb safety. Field stripping is the same as any XD/XDs pistol. The sights are the dot/U sight system. The front sight had a tritium module surrounded by a yellow dot. It's quite bright in low light conditions, not that I'm going to shoot at anything in the dark. The rear sight it a white outline U sight. The front sight is easy to pick up even with my old eyes and the rear sight aligns quickly. I didn't think I would the sights but I do. The finish on the slide and barrel is SA's Melonite finish. This is the same finish that was on my XDs 45 I had all the trouble with a few years back so it should wear really good. With its double stack magazine, it might be a little big for pocket carry. I might still might try it in an Alabama Pocket Holster. Right now I have a Crossbreed Hybrid IWB holster, but the jury is still out on it. If all else fails I can order a shell from Alien Gear. I like those really well.

All in all I really like it so far.

More to come...
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
rman
Extraordinary Member

Good report Teddybear! It sounds like it's going to be a keeper. You're probably right about it being a little large for a pocket holster. I have an Alabama holster for my Sig P365. I find it pretty hard to draw it out of my pocket. They would probably be fine in cargo pants or overalls. Mine doesn't work well with jeans. Glad you like the little Hellcat and it looks like it is going to be a reliable carry piece.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
glockensig

Good report! So many options out there these days!!
I love my Crossbreed holster. Carry my PPS in it all the time.
Arthritic hands...ouch! I worry about that in my future!
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle
glockensig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Smile

Update

I made it back to the range with the HELLCAT. I was windy as all get out, but after all were are on the prairie. Probably shot close to 200 rounds, some 115gn, but mostly 124gn bullets.

I really like the was this little pistol shoots. For a micro sized pistol it is very easy to control and doesn't bother my arthritic hands at all. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with that. And the sights, so easy to pick up even during rapid fire, I may be dreaming, but the more I shot it the better the trigger got. The only negative thing I've found thus far is that the magazines are hard to load. I think that is due to the shape of the follower. My UPLULA mag loader makes it somewhat easier, but even it doesn't fit the mags like a Glock or 1911. I'll have to work on the mag loading aspect.

Here are the targets. As you can tell, it was not my best effort. I will need a return trip to the 10yd line.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
rman
Extraordinary Member

Looks good to me Teddybear. If you have to shoot past 10 yards, you probably have time to run or take cover. Thanks for the report!
Old 04-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #6
J_B
Extraordinary Member

Good report Teddybear
Old 05-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #7
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Smile

UPDATE

I ordered a spring kit for the HELLCAT from MCARBO out of Clearwater, Fl. The kit included a stainless steel replacement striker sleeve for the factory plastic one. The factory ones are prone to breakage. The XDs 45 I had broke 2 of them, causing malfunctions each time. It came in the mail Saturday morning. I also did the "25 cent" polish job on the areas recommended. The results were quite surprising. The trigger pull went from 5# 12oz (5 pull average) to 5# 4oz. (average for 5 pulls). It appears the trigger pulls are actually smoother after the polish job than before. No creep what so ever.

I'll give a range report, hopefully some time this week.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #8
rman
Extraordinary Member

Thanks for the update Teddy! It sounds like it is going to be a keeper. It doesn't surprise me that it is relatively tame to shoot. I find the pluses you mention to apply to the Sig P365 also. It is also surprisingly mild to shoot given its size and the sights are really good. My only problem with it is the slide release. I shoot 2 handed with both thumbs forward. Once in awhile my strong hand thumb activates the slide release and creates a stoppage. As long as I'm careful with my grip, it is really reliable.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:19 PM   #9
dowop

I think I would like to have on myself. Will try to see my local F.A. dealer.
He is listed on there website.
dowop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
Teddybear
Extraordinary Member

Smile Range report

update

I made it to the range this past Friday morning. I ran some draw/fire drills, move/draw/fire drills. 3-5-7 yards wasn't too bad and I showed some improvement from 10 yards. I can still use some practice from there. I put 200 hiccup free rounds thru it. These targets were the last ones shot. As I stated before, I installed a spring kit from MCARBO in the HELLCAT. It had a 5#4oz trigger with the kit before this range secession. After wards it was at 5#3oz. The "25 cent trigger job" helped make it a little bit smoother. I am really pleased with this little pistol. I feel completely confident with it as my EDC.